Avatar universal


For the last few years I have been in hell,1- 2.5 weeks out of the month my entire body chemistry changes including but not limited to temp, anxiety, mood changes, night sweats, dizziness, weight gain and loss, appetite changes, vaginal dryness, wetness, cramping, flutters in my abdomen, etc. I have been in cymbalta for a few months with Xanax. But it's not working and these medicines are horrible. Currently I have to smoke mm to function without going insane during these periods. I have endometriosis and pcos that I had a lap surgery for last year. I am desperate I've tried several hormone methods to treat both and I've tried ssri's. I'm not sure where to go but it's driving me insane. Any suggestions to what it might be or what could help?
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
1340994 tn?1374193977
The first things they recommend for managing PCOS is regular exercise and eating heart-healthy foods. This can help lower blood pressure and cholesterol and reduce the risk of diabetes and heart disease. It can also help you lose weight if you need to.  Optimizing ones weight helps control the hormone imbalance.  

Walking is a great exercise that most people can do.
If you smoke, consider quitting. Women who smoke have higher androgen levels that may contribute to PCOS symptoms.  Smoking also increases the risk for heart disease and stroke, and since one of the more common treatments is birth control pills, smoking is out of the question.  

Medicines commonly prescribed include:  

Birth control pills. They can help your periods be regular and can reduce symptoms such as excess facial hair and acne. An androgen-lowering medicine, spironolactone, may be used with birth control pills to help reduce symptoms even more. These medicines are not used if you are trying to get pregnant.
A diabetes medicine called metformin. It can help restore regular menstrual cycles and fertility.
Fertility medicines, if you are trying to get pregnant.

This is a very complex problem, and it is no surprise you are frustrated.  It is important to see your doctor for follow-up to make sure treatment is working and to adjust it if needed. You may also need regular tests to check for diabetes, high blood pressure, and other possible problems.  
Helpful - 0
Avatar universal
Have you ever considered PMDD? Look it up. I know quite a few woman that suffer from it! And a lot of woman with endo and pcos have it! Just a thought!
Helpful - 0
Avatar universal
you should see a specialist to recommemd a possible partial hysterectomy.  you may also have polyps or tumors
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Undiagnosed Symptoms Community

Top General Health Answerers
363281 tn?1590104173
Nelson, New Zealand
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
19694731 tn?1482849837
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Discharge often isn't normal, and could mean an infection or an STD.
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.