Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
25k Members

I Want My Life Back! Paresthesia (Strange Body Numbness/Tingling), Dizziness, Fatigue

2 months ago I was renovating my house, training for a marathon, and working full time. Since then I've grown a full beard, moved back in with my parents, and constantly try to sleep off my terrible symptoms. I need to get better or I could lose my job, my house, and my life.

I'm 28 and don't have a history of health problems. My health decline began 2 months ago when I was putting the finishing touches on a patio I built. I went inside to eat dinner and watch television but started to experience a strange numbing feeling all over my body. This was followed by a strange lighted-headedness which was like having an out of body experience. I panicked at this point and went immediately to the hospital were I collapsed. The incident was written off as an anxiety attack.

Two weeks later without incident I had a similar attack while running. While running, I began to lose feeling in my legs and extremities. I collapsed and couldn't move since my legs were too weak. Again I started to panic not knowing what was wrong. I went to see a doctor and they said it was a panic attack.

I decided to agree with the doctors and believe it was all in my head until one day at work while feeling the numbness and lightedhead symptoms I tried to power through them. I was not hyperventilating and was calm having a pleasant conversation. My body slowly deteriorated and my vision went blurry and my body felt like novacaine was applied to it.

That was two weeks ago. The tingling and numbness are now constant, though I have some days that are better than others. I can't accomplish simple tasks like going to the grocery store without fighting the numbness and lightheaded feeling. I feel like I'm in a fog, like my body is poisoned and no matter how much I try to sleep or relax I'm still getting incrementally worse.

I've had a clear MRI of the brain. No lesions so probably no MS. Several chest x-rays, clear. A 48 hour holter that came back clean. I've been to a cardiologist, neurologist, and gastro. I've got good blood sugar. My bp is good and I am in decent shape. They put me on neurotin and lexapro, but I don't feel any relief from either.

Has anyone had similar symptoms and gotten a diagnosis? Are there certain tests I should suggest my doctors? I feel like anxiety is a copout diagnosis. I want my life back. I never knew the simple act of going to the grocery store for a 6 pack without feeling faint would ever be a milestone in my life.

Do these episodes only happen whilst upright/standing/walking etc, or do they come on whilst laying to?
It's no longer a jolt. When I wake up in the morning I can feel a decreased sensation across my body. If my fingers are really tingling as well as my tongue I know I'll have a day where I won't be able to leave the house. It doesn't get bad when I stand per se, it is more related to exertion (walking around, going to dr. appointments, maybe run an errand if I feel lucky and watch some tv). Slowly the symptoms will get worse to the point where start losing sensation throughout my body and will stumble as my muscles become hard to control, and I feel like I'm having an out of body experience. I then just lay down for a few hours until I can feel my limbs and get up to repeat the whole experience again.
Have a look in the Dysautonomia (Autonomic Dysfunction) community there may be people there who can help you.  Conditions related to this are often misdiagnosed as anxiety or panic attacks.  Orthostatic intolerence is linked to this to.  Dysautonomia involves the nervous system and can effect all aspects of our body and is not easily diagnosed but treatments are available, patients normally have many many tests before diagnosis as it can be detected via routine or normal bloods, etc.  I am being suspected of having Postural orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome (POTS) - tachycardia is just one symptom there are a long line of them.  These conditions can differ daily (POTS can and am sure others can to).  A diagnosis of POTS is made by a Tilt table test.  A persons heart rate increases on standing from a laying position by at least 30bpm or over 120bpm for diagnosis to be made.

Your symptoms may not be due to any autonomic dysfunction but it is another avenue for you to explore and possibly rule out, or it could lead you to a diagnosis.

I would put your post on their board as there are many experienced individuals there and they may be able to help you or lead you to a place that can.

I hope you find some answers
Welcome to the forum!
I am sorry to hear about your health condition. It is really difficult to comment without examination, however I’ll provide some suggestions based on your post.
There are many causes of dizziness, lightheadedness, passing out, blackouts etc. Dizziness could be due to postural hypotension (blood pressure falling with change of position), internal ear problems and cervical spondylitis or compression of cervical spinal nerves. All these cause dizziness when you get up from lying down position or when you change position that results in a change in the level of your head. Cervical spondylitis and ear problems also cause dizziness on changing the position of the neck.
Other causes are anemia, claustrophobia, GERD, hypoglycemia or low sugar and some endocrine problems. Endocrine problems, such as an underactive thyroid (called hypothyroidism), overactive thyroid (called hyperthyroidism), adrenal insufficiency (called Addison's disease), low blood sugar levels, and in some cases, diabetes, may lead to hypotension and hence lightheadedness and an off balance feeling.
Certain types of epilepsies and seizures too can cause similar symptoms. If you have an accompanying headache then you must also look at benign intracranial hypertension. Heart problems have also been ruled out in your case. If all other tests are normal, maybe an ECHO should be done to rule out mitral valve prolapse.
Many have polycystic disease of the ovary associated with insulin resistance. Increased insulin levels can cause hypoglycemia. Poor eating patterns too can be a cause. Other rare causes are insulin secreting tumors or insulinomas, and certain medications.There are many self testing kits available in the market for testing blood sugar. So even if your blood sugar is normal at labs, please test it just after the episode. Also if eating and drinking something helps then it could be low sugar or GERD.
I think you should discuss these possibilities with your doctor. It is difficult to comment beyond this without examining. A comprehensive investigation is required keeping all the points in mind.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
I have had similar symptoms since Jan. '09.  All testing has come back normal for me as well.  So far, the thing that has helped me the most has been Doug Kaufman's Phase 1 diet plan (for health, not weight loss).  After a few days on the diet, my brain fog/confusion cleared and the numbness and tingling went away.  Unfortunately, the numbness/tingling returns when reintroducing any foods with sugar, preservatives, yeast, corn and/or nightshades.  I'm not saying that my issues are entirely food sensitivities, but diet does play a HUGE role.  My doctors have all been quite surprised by the diet link.

I noticed that all your problems occured after home renovation.  Lead poisoning has many similar symptoms and is frequently linked to renovations in the home.  Just an idea.  

Good luck!  I know how desperately you want to feel normal again--I feel the same way.  I'm still searching for the underlying cause.  Let me know if you have any breakthroughs.
I am a 25 year old female that has had a blackout/fainting experience two weeks ago and have been ordered to have 17 different tests done now that I am contantly dizzy and have tingling sensations all over my body...randomly. I just want you to know that you are not alone and I will let you know if I get any results that  may help you. I wish you a fast and full recovery. I know exactly what you mean when you say that you feel like your body is poisoned. PS. Look into seeing an
Endocrinologist...
Deana