Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
25k Members

I had this result in my blood work.

Alkaline Phosphatase High, Thrombocytopenia, and high AST/SGOT.   Also low platelets. What does this mean?
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Many a times AST (SGOT) and ALT OR SGPT (both are collectively called transaminases) rise without any cause. Because AST is found in many other organs besides the liver, including the kidneys, the muscles, and the heart, having a high level of AST does not always (but often does) indicate that there is a liver problem. For example, even vigorous exercise may elevate AST levels in the body. However to reach at that conclusion the medical causes of these raised transaminases have to be ruled out. Causes of liver transaminase elevations include viral hepatitis, alcohol use, medication use, steatosis or steatohepatitis, and cirrhosis. Steatosis and cirrhosis are ruled out by the ultrasound. Other common health conditions, such as diabetes, heart disease, pancreatitis, hemolytic anemia and thyroid disease, can also cause liver transaminase elevations. Most liver diseases are characterized by greater ALT elevations than AST elevations except cirrohsis and alcohol abuse. ALT also rises in bile duct obstruction due to stone.
Raised alkaline phosphatase (The normal range is 44 to 147 IU/L (international units per liter).is often found in a growing child and at puberty. There are several bone disorders too that can raise this enzyme like rickets, osteomalacia, Paget’s disease of the bone, tumors, metastasis and recent fracture. An elevation in AP is often seen in cholestatic liver disease, pregnancy, bone disease, and occasionally with inflammatory bowel disease. In an otherwise healthy individual a rasied AP could be due to false positive test and the test should be repeated. If it is still high then other mentioned causes should be ruled out. Again a high value is diagnostic.
The cause for the low platelet count has to be identified; whether it is due to less production at the bone marrow or high breakdown or due to platelets being trapped in the spleen. The treatment will depend on the cause. Common causes are Vit B12 and folic acid deficiency, leukemias, lymphomas, decreased production of thrombopoietin by liver, Dengue fever, HIV, hemolytic anemias, etc. So if you have a liver disorder then platelet count will reduce.
Please consult your PCP for primary examination followed by proper referral to a hepatologist.
Take care!

Alkaline Phosphatase High this is a test that is done for liver orbone disorders. this level  being high could mean anything from liver failure  to bone cancer or a blocked bile duct. Thrombocytopenia simply means you have realativly low platlets in your blood. high AST/SGOT is also to do with your liver this could be anything from hepatitis to liver disease. so basicly your tests right now are telling the doctors that something is wrong with your liver or related organs (such as bile ducts). i know this sounds bad but i am not a doctor only a cna so this is only an idea of what i think it means stay positive best luck
Radiation disease and lack of moderation for immune system and neuron system.
I also have high alkaline Phosphatase for the last 3 yrs off and on. My Dr re tested ran a specific once to exclude bile duct problem and liver problem with a negative result. Sometimes my tests come back fine and others its high....we both are preplexed