Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
25k Members

Inflammation of Carotid artery and neck pain

About six months ago my left neck began to hurt and I noticed what I thought was a lump there. I went to a head and neck specialist and he said that I had inflammtion of my Carotid artery(Carotidynia).  The lump, I guess, was just the bifurcation of my artery that was swollen. The doctor told me to take an anti-inflammatory(ibuprophen) for 2 weeks. The pain finally diminished, but about a month later it started in my right neck. The pain now runs all the way down my neck and into my shoulder and right chest a bit.  It especially hurts if I apply pressure to my pulse(Carotid artery).  It feels like inflammed nerves or something. So, I went back to another doctor and he gave the same diagnosis. He said unfortunatley the cause is unknown. Now I am on a stronger anti-inflammatory. I just want to know the cause so it won't come back. I also got blood work and a head and neck xray completed, but am still waiting for results. Has anyone ever had this?  Any similar symptoms?  Should I be more concerned? Thanks
Hi folks....A few yrs. ago I was having alot of weird occurences with my balance and still do,the carotids in my neck pop out severely and I have
deep pain in my ears when i swallow especially,just got off of 10 days of augmenten and still have the bad pain in my ear and irritation when swallowing,one visit after several tests I went in to the ent and he said
that I had Carotid Sinus Complex and it can come on by just a good sneeze and go from there,had a course of steroids and anti inflamitory
and I did feel relief but it still occurs and when it does I feel like I am falling from one side or the other and that I had some kind of acid poured in my head that has different extremes.Painful needle sensations
in my ear and as I stated the veins in my neck protrude severely and more so when I talk.Comes and goes.
All I can say is WOW! I have had similar experience about a yr and half ago. I had a slip & fall, sever concussion with neck injuries. I've been suffering Chronic Pain ever since.. Severe headaches, pain from left eye brow/temple area, down my jaw, ear, neck, shoulder and it's now going into the center of my back and down my left arm now. I've gotten NO help at all. I've had MRI, EEG, Xrays... but something has to give. I spend sleepless nights from the headaches and throbbing pain. I've gained a bit of weight because when I exercise the pain gets worse. I've also noticed that my ear also has extreme sensitivity to certain frequencies and multiple sounds that drives me crazy to. If anyone has any advice I would most certainly appreciate it. (They have told me I just have to deal with it, but some days I feel like I just can't go on because of the intense pain and it's been relentless for so long).
Hi Started having pain on my left side of the neck . went to the doctor told  him  the pain was extreme . i had a carotid doppler done  . doctor call me to  see a vascular  surgeon . saw a vascular surgeon who did another carotid doppler .they didnt explain much ,but a doctor call me and told me  i need to do a temporal artery biopsy .that was negative also .blood work is off the chart . high white blood count,high sed rate , high c reactive , high alkaline phosphatase,that was in august and in dec . in dec  my sed rate was higher . now im back to the primary doctor . went to see him and he told me that we have to hurry up cuz he got other patients. no one in the waiting room hmmm?im so frustrated now. going to see a endo next  . keep u posted
Look up "Asperillosis" and Chug Syndrome  on the net.  Both may cause inflamation of the arteries. Do so now and then decide what course to take. Get a copy of your labs and see if you eosinophils have been out of  range. These illnesses indicate fungus growths that if not detected can invade the organs . Get a doctor to order biopsy of the skin and biopsy near the top of the artery or veins that seem to be inflamed. Read up on these disease now. Thank You.
I have the same pain on the left side of my carotid artery. I saw my pain doc today and he prescribes me MS Contin 15 mg 3 x a day and Oxycodone 6 x a day for the ruptured discs in my upper back and lower back. The bad thing is these meds do not touch the pain that I am having in my carotid artery. He mentioned nodules and cancer and that I need to see an ENT.

What does anyone suggest? I am worried. Please mail me at felle_james***@****.
i just took on a new dr...she was the most thorough of any dr i ever had...she just felt my neck and said i needed to go for tests, which i did today...i cannot believe any dr would put people on medicine without a cartaroid doppler test...get the test...see the truth...it only takes about 20 min and it is non invasive
Hmm... I need more info on this.
My boyfriend has this right now and i'm of course extremely worried for his health, he's been VOMITING blood and he chokes on his own throat as well as not being able to eat and has a cold, fever and... more... at the beginning of this year he started coughing up blood and it wasn't that bad, he was in hospital for a few days and was released. But then it just came back last month and it became worse than the first time... He can't move, can't talk properly and his right lung isn't working properly... I'm terrified about whats happening...
i have a pain on the left side towards the back of my neck it is a sharp shooting intense pain that goes up into my "brain" i feel a pressure of some sort on my neck in that spot where the pain starts to shoot from, it feels like there might be something there when i touch it because it feels different then the right side and my vision has been getting bad fast and headaches as well. the pain is a 8 on a scale and it shoots then stops then shoots then stops on and off day and night it will go away for a few hrs here and there but then poof its back it feels lie a lightening bolt shooting it hurts really bad i have tried asp. and ibuprofen but nothing helps what do i do i have no ins in college full time single person...
Hi, I've had carotid artery pain for 18 months on the left side of my neck. It starts just under the jaw line and then runs down the neck. I seen a Oral Surgeon because my primary physician that the pain was caused by an impacted tooth. The Oral Surgeon did a Radial Xray and found that my Styloid bone that it at the base of the skull just behind the ear has grown extremely long and is putting pressure on the Carotid Artery. I will have surgery to remove this bone in a couple of weeks. I also have started having the pain on the opposite side. This is called "Eagle's Syndrome" if you would like to check into it. Best Wishes to All of You!
I have had the same thing for years now.  Pain radiating from neck to shoulders and back,  up side of face,  jaw,  back of head and scalp.   Inflamation of the cartoid and areas around jaw and ears, and Temporal pain,  sometimes involves eyes,   sometimes on the left and sometimes on the right.  Couple of things I havent seen mentioned in any of these posts,   Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome,  This is a major symptom of both of these conditions,   Something worth looking into,  especially if you have re-curing episodes or have dealt with it for years on end with no relief.  Sad to say it is just something you have to live with.  I use anti-inflamatories,  Pain medications and cold therapy ,  it calms the symptoms down,   I hope this helps someone get some relief,  as I know this is no picnic in the park........ Have a WOnderful day everyone  :)~
Have your thyroid checked, ask your dr to do a thyroidultrasound.Sounds like swollen thyroid gland.mine wrapped around both carotid arteries and i had your symptoms too!the dr done blood work(TSH Level) and it was within normal limits,so get the thyroidultra sound done!!!!!
I am dealing with this and one thing I found out that Drs didn't tell me is that dairy and wheat foods and sugar are INFLAMMATORY. I had a weird throat soreness set in the other day while drinking a coke.  Then a couple of days later I started having discomfort in my chest and a tightness in my neck.  So turns out I have an inflammed carotid artery. My nutritionist took me off all wheat, dairy and sugar.  Yeah, I know, not easy, but better than being in pain.
I have suffered from SVT most of my life and have had my carotid artery on the left side massaged several times.  One doctor did it too hard and I have ever since had sensitivity in my left carotid.  The least touch sets off pain and swelling there.  If I turn my head sometimes, my heart skips a beat and takes off.  This is so annoying but something I have to live with I guess.  No one knows but all of you with these same symptoms just how difficult this can be.
I have had mild pain on the right side of my neck.  I was doing the ****** Therapy for a couple years and was fine.   As soon as I started eating "regular" food and restaurant food my health began to slip.  Juicing green juices from Kale, Chard or fresh Spinach etc. as well as apple carrot juice with a strict ****** Grocery list diet can cure almost anything.  Also a decent short cut is MMS (Master Mineral Suppliment) pioneered by Jim Humble.  Research both the ****** Therapy and MMS and see what you think.  Most diseases can be cured with the ****** Therapy.  When I did it for elevated PST scores associated with prostate cancer I immediately went on the ****** Therapy at home.  I was well in three months with dropping scores and as a side effect my blood pressure normalized and eight other symptoms of other things simply vanished without expecting them to.  Holistic health was the way for me and instead of anti-biotics I am using MMS.  Check it out for yourself.  
check for mold in your houses its there
I am going through this right now. I have a swollen gland in the right side of my neck and it does get painful sometimes, especially when I am laying down on that side. I have already gone through with the Antibiotics, then had blood work done.  Antibiotics did nothing and the blood work came back normal.  Now they are going to do an Ultrasound on my neck to see if it is attached to my artery.  If it is attached to my artery, what will happen?  Will they have to do surgery or will they put me on meds to help it?
I have this too, but because I'm only 29, the doc's won't even check my neck.

I had a painful "zap" feeling run along side my left carotid artery, then the next day, the right.
Now they feel kind of achy, and my ears sometimes hurt.

I asked the doc if my arteries were inflamed, and she said that isn't possible.

Ugh!
Mine started about 3 yrs ago, my husband came in, I was asleep in the recliner at about Semi-Fowlers, he screamed my name and asked me if I was ok, then told me my Vein in my neck was jumping out of my neck going mad......  My neck is very sore from my jaw (right side) to my clavicle, and is swollen all the way down, once it gets to my clavicle I feel a pain like a needle pressing through, also have a burning sensation all the way down, and have been blacking out (even while driving) get a tightening sensation in my scalp that tingles, and also very dizzy spells and occasionally little black spots in my vision...... have no insurance, so for me, diagnosis will not come.  Good luck to you all!
my name is rickey comeaux. im 27 yrs old. and just yesterday i started havin this pain in my neck. this morning i woke up and my artery was thumpin away and hurtin like hell. im scared of drs. and hospitals. i just wanna know what the hell this is. and from i read on all ur storys over the last 3 years, i definately dont wanna go to the dr. and have him mis diagnose me. any advice?