Undiagnosed Symptoms Forum
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
278016 tn?1220191104

Kidney Issue

I am a 25 year old female, 150 pounds, and exercise regularly. I have been having multiple health problems for four years shortly after having mono, and kidney stones which were a year and a half apart. Focusing on the kidneys they are constantly sore. When I eat certain foods, especially salty foods, i urinate even more frequently, and leak urine. I have been to a urologist and my bladder is perfectly healthy. I have been to a homeopathic doctor who has discovered all my problems stem from my kidneys, I was told my left kidney functions at 80% normal and my right at 92%. I have had other symptoms such as sore muscles, and hives. I do believe my kidneys are the reason for all of these symptoms. I use two pads a day, and urinate anywhere from 10 to 25 times a day. If I go out to a Mexican restaurant, I find myself up every hour of the night. Beverages and food with high sodium content also make my symptoms worse. I have been told I'm not diabetic, but have history, my father and maternal grandfather also have a  history of stones. In 2004 I had a stone stuck in my ureter for a few days, and finally went to the hospital to have something injected in to relieve pain. Other that that I do not know the cause of my stones.  I also am sensitive to sodium and feel my problem is worse depending on what I eat. One doctor at one pt also suggest something called renal tubular acidosis but I have yet to see a nephrologists. I hope you have some ideas for me. Thanks!
1 Responses
233190 tn?1278549801
I agree that seeing a nephrologist is the next step.  

If there is concern about kidney stones, imaging the kidneys should be done with a CT scan.  Any stone should be strained and sent to the labs for analysis.  Depending on the composition of the stone, some medications - like hydrochlorothiazide or potassium citrate - can be given.  

If the nephrology referral is non-revealing, seeing a urologist can also be considered.  

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Popular Resources
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.
Here are the pros and cons of the top fad diets and weight loss plans of the year.