Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
25k Members

Leg pain & weakness after food poisoning

About 3 weeks ago I had an extremely bad case of food poisoning, with a LOT of vomiting, diarrhea and dehydration over the course of two days. Since then, I've been taking vitamins and trying to eat things like kale every day, but about a week after the poisoning I began getting leg pains behind both knees, and a general feeling of weakness when bending the knees or putting weight on them. It's progressed to be more in my right leg, and for a while some days were almost okay and some were worse, but today I'm at the point where I can barely walk. A side factor may be an alcohol problem, but I think this is not necessarily related, as this came on fairly fast and doesn't seem to be the same as alcohol-related leg issues. I'm female and 50 years old, and also about 100 pounds overweight, but I also have lost 50 pounds in the last year and do a lot of walking and drink a lot of water, and am in fairly good shape (normally). Could this be a vitamin deficiency brought on by the food poisoning, or...?

From The symptoms and after taking into account,your age and overweight issues,it can be due to osteoarthritis. Osteoarthritis is a type of arthritis that is caused by the breakdown and eventual loss of the cartilage of one or more joints.

Treatment includes reduction of weight, exercise and support devices like splints, canes, walkers, and braces.Non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen are used for pain relief.Glucosamine and chondroitin can also relieve symptoms of pain and stiffness for some persons with osteoarthritis.Intra-articular injections of cortisone are also helpful in relieving pain.The last resort is total knee replacement.I sincerely advise you to consult an orthopedician and get X-rays knee done.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing.