Aa
A
A
A
Close
Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
25k Members

Leg pain & weakness after food poisoning

About 3 weeks ago I had an extremely bad case of food poisoning, with a LOT of vomiting, diarrhea and dehydration over the course of two days. Since then, I've been taking vitamins and trying to eat things like kale every day, but about a week after the poisoning I began getting leg pains behind both knees, and a general feeling of weakness when bending the knees or putting weight on them. It's progressed to be more in my right leg, and for a while some days were almost okay and some were worse, but today I'm at the point where I can barely walk. A side factor may be an alcohol problem, but I think this is not necessarily related, as this came on fairly fast and doesn't seem to be the same as alcohol-related leg issues. I'm female and 50 years old, and also about 100 pounds overweight, but I also have lost 50 pounds in the last year and do a lot of walking and drink a lot of water, and am in fairly good shape (normally). Could this be a vitamin deficiency brought on by the food poisoning, or...?
1 Responses
563773 tn?1374250139
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Hello,

From The symptoms and after taking into account,your age and overweight issues,it can be due to osteoarthritis. Osteoarthritis is a type of arthritis that is caused by the breakdown and eventual loss of the cartilage of one or more joints.

Treatment includes reduction of weight, exercise and support devices like splints, canes, walkers, and braces.Non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen are used for pain relief.Glucosamine and chondroitin can also relieve symptoms of pain and stiffness for some persons with osteoarthritis.Intra-articular injections of cortisone are also helpful in relieving pain.The last resort is total knee replacement.I sincerely advise you to consult an orthopedician and get X-rays knee done.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Top General Health Answerers
363281 tn?1518219421
Nelson, New Zealand
1756321 tn?1547098925
Queensland, Australia
19694731 tn?1482853437
AL
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.
Here are the pros and cons of the top fad diets and weight loss plans of the year.