Low Anion Gap
I have regular labs due to metastatic breast cancer.  My CMP is usually normal, however, my anion gap has been decreasing.  In March it was 12, in April it was 4, and this week, it measured at 2.  My doctor is not concerned.  From what I have been reading, it appears that follow-up is necessary.  Would you recommend to someone that has labs like mine to request further testing.  Would this be urgent?  And lastly, what could cause someone's AG to continue decreasig?

Thank you for your help.
Is a reading of 6 Anion Gap a problem,?
Thanks for writing to the forum!
“The average anion gap for healthy adults is 8-12 mEq/L. Unlike a high anion gap, obtaining a low anion gap is relatively rare. One of the most common causes of a low anion gap is a low albumin level (which constitutes ~80% of the unmeasured anions). Correspondingly, an increase in the number of cations, either organic (eg, paraproteins as in multiple myeloma) or inorganic (bromide, lithium, Iodine or polymyxin B) can lead to low anion gap values. A decreased anion gap is also seen in multiple myeloma where the increased negatively-charged immunoglobulins interact with and bind cations in the blood.”
Refer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anion_gap

Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
A related discussion, anion gap was started.
Looking for a Doctor?
Shop for health care like an expert. Find the best doctors based on reviews from patients like you.