Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
25k Members

Lower right rib pain

Hi, I have a complicated problem and feel totally lost.

For a few months I have had discomfort in my right side, lower rib area. It has made clothing impossible to wear, and every moment of my life i am uncomfortable. It's hard to describe because it's not exactly PAINFUL, but really uncomfortable.

I went to the doctor many times. There is a small, movable lump on my lower rib. He took Xrays, blood, even a sonogram to see that it wasn't my gall bladder. He said it was a pulled muscle, gave me anti-inflammatorys and muscle relaxors.

A month later it was no better and it seemed the pain spread from my rib around to my back on the right side. I went back and he diagnosed it as shingles without a rash. Known as "zoster sine herpete."  I was given steroids, anti virals and meds for nerve pain. Well, I finished those meds and am no better. I've researched shingles and saw that it does occur without the rash, but it is rare. AND shingles itself is rare in young people. (I just turned 24) Now, I'm told that the fact that I'm still not better could mean that I have post-herpetic neuralgia... but apparently that is even more rare in young people.

To me it all sounds a little too rare, and since I'm not any better I don't really believe that's what's wrong with me. But I've gone to the doctor so much now that I'm broke and at a loss. He doesn't seem to think the lump on my rib means anything.... I'm losing faith in the medical community as a whole. :(

I'm really scared, it's not getting any better and I can't go on living like this. It's really taking a toll on my life... if anyone has an ideas I'd love to hear them. Also, if anyone who has had shingles could tell me what their pain felt like it would be helpful.
Thanks a lot
I don't have much advise on your situation other than try another doctor.  I hope you get this figured out soon!!
THE PAIN CAN LAST LONG THEY SAY LOOK IT UP ON THE COMPUTER IT TELLS YOU WHAT YOU CAN DO. I HAVE IT TO FROM SHINGLES . UNDER MY BREAST TO TUMMY AROUND THE BACK . SO I GET BACK PAIN AND MY SKIN FEELS FUNNY LIKE WHEN YOUR ARM OR LEG FALLS A SLEEP . IT MIGHT TAKE MONTHS TO YEARS THATS WHAT THEY SAY. I'M 46 GOT IT FROM STRESS. I BOUGHT A BOOK ON NUTRITIONAL HEALING AND IT TELLS YOU THINGS OR LOOK ON LINE OK . OF COURSE ASK YOUR DOCTOR TOO.  LET IT TAKE ITS COURSE TOO. I'M TRYING AND TAKING  MY MEDS THE DOCTOR GAVE ME FOR THE PAIN . AND TAKING VITIAMS TOO AND JUST RELAXING NO MORE STRESS. I HOPE THIS HELPS YOU LOVE APRIL  I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL BUT YOUNGER PEOPLE HAVE GOTTEN SHINGLES I HAD NO RASH OR BLISTERS EITHER. SO MY DOCTOR SAID BEACUSE ITS ON ONE SIDE OF MY BODY IT WAS SHINGLES . BELIVE ME ITS BEEN 2 MONTHS FOR ME AND ITS GETTING A LITTLE BETTER EACH DAY . THE STRESS CAUSED IT FOR ME . JUST SEE A NERILOGIST AND THEY WILL HELP YOU. I LIVE IN OHIO SO I'M GOING TO THE CLEVELAND CLINIC. I HAVE NO INSURANCE SO THEY ARE BASING IT ON MY INCOME AND THEY ARE SEEING ME FOR FREE. WHERE YOU LIVE MAYBE THEY WILL DO THE SAME . I'M A CHARITY CASE. I NEED HELP. AND I THANK GOD THEY ARE LOOKING TO HELP. YOU ARE STREESING OUT AND IT WILL MAKE IT WORSE. LOOK UP ON THE COMPUTER ABOUT THIS IT TELLS YOU ALOT OF STUFF

It is very difficult to make a diagnosis without examination,but some of the possibilities for your symptoms are a swollen lymph node or some malignancy(like carcinoma lung or metastatic cancer) causing this lump or swollen lymph node.Basically pain in your ribs is due to irritation of the nerves as a result of this swelling.Other possibilities may be paget’s disease of bone or multiple myeloma. . Multiple myeloma is a tumor of the bone cells and typically presents with severe pain in the back or in lower ribs. It is diagnosed by Electrophoresis (EP) which measures the levels of various proteins in the blood or urine.Bone scans and bone marrow biopsy are also sometimes helpful in confirming.

What is the constituency of the lump? Soft nodes are most likely infection or inflammation, firm but rubbery nodes could be lymphoma and rock hard nodes are more likely from some other type of metastatic cancer not lymphoma.Lymph node biopsy is the diagnostic test for finding out the cause of swollen lymph node.Till that time, over-the-counter (OTC) pain relievers and warm compresses may be all you need.

I feel that an X-ray or CT chest along with biopsy of this lump will be helpful in making a diagnosis.Pls consult a chest physician for that,

Hope it helps. Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional queries.