Undiagnosed Symptoms Community

Lump/Discomfort in Groin area

A few days ago i was getting out of a chair and as I stood up, I felt something kind of bulge out of my right upper groin area. I've had this happen a few times in the last 6 months, but it has always felt like it popped right back in a few seconds later, but this time it stayed out. It didn't really hurt when it happened, it just felt like an uncomfortable pressure in my groin. So the next day I went to the clinic at my University and the doctor gave me a physical and informed me that the discomfort I was feeling was a hernia and that I should consult a surgeon.

I made an appointment with a general surgeon that my primary physician referred me to. When I met with him, he also gave me a physical to ensure that it was a hernia. After checking everything out, he said that I didnt have a hernia, and that it was probably just a swollen lymph node and that it should go away in the next few days/weeks.

I'm not really sure what to do now. I've been experiencing more discomfort than i was originally and this morning I woke up with some stomach pain, I'm not sure that could be related or not. I trust the general surgeon more than i trust the university clinic. But my groin area just doesn't feel right, and i distinctly remember it feeling like something just bulged out of my groin and I wouldn't think that a swollen lymph node would just instantly swell up like that.
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
I suggest you seek another opinion. The swelling, pain and discomfort can either be due to gas in bowel, Crohn’s disease, colitis, hernia or due to a swollen lymphnode. However a lymphnode will not just pop up. Either it was there for sometime and suddenly became painful. In this case it needs to be investigated further—whether you have any infection—fungal or otherwise in surrounding area or a STD. Otherwise all other possibilities should be looked into. Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
Thanks for the quick response!
It's kind of interesting that you mentioned Crohn's disease. The general surgeon i met with brought that up when i mentioned that i have been having stomach problems. For just about as long as I can remember, i've had problems with diarrhea and severe stomach cramps. I've discussed it with my primary physician but he said it was more than likely just IBS. Its a pretty intermittent problem, I've never been able to find a certain food that triggers it. It seems like i'll go through phases with it, having severe cramping and diarrhea every day for a week, or sometimes i'll go a week or two or even longer without having any problems.

I'm planning on calling my primary physician in the morning to schedule an appointment. Would you recommend I just skip my primary physician and go straight to a specialist?