Undiagnosed Symptoms Forum

Lump behind ear.

32 year old married male here.
Non-smoking, social drinker.  

I have a lump behind my right ear in the postauricular area around 1 cm across, more flat than raised, and most prounounced when I turn my head to the left.  It's not painful, not moveable, and when I hold my finger to it I can feel my pulse.  I first noticed it around 11 months ago when I had a very itchy, red rash covering my ears, and there has been no discernable change in size or shape since then.

My doctor at the time said it was likely a swollen lymph node and it would go away with time.  Rash went away after a couple months, but lump didn't.  I've had it looked at by two other doctors recently, and had one say it was likely a cyst, and another say it looked like an anomaly of the musculature.  No-one has been very concerned about it, but I can't get it out off of my mind.

Recently, I had bloodwork done because I was having problems with anxiety, and everything came back normal.

Other things which may or may not be related:

I've had lower back pain near my bottom ribs for the past 7 months primarily on the left side, with the pain referring around to my abdomen.  (Thought to be a problem with muscle mechanics.)

I've had a problem with recurring sinusitis thought to be caused by allergies.  (Have a CT scan scheduled.)

Any ideas as to what this could be would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
I agree that a swollen lymph node is possible.  If it doesn't resolve despite appropriate antibiotic therapy, further evaluation should be done to exclude lymphoma.

This can include an ENT referral for possible biopsy of the lesion.

Another consideration would be to obtain an ultrasound of the lesion to ensure it is not a cyst or tumor.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patients education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
www.kevinmd.com
Additional relevant info:

When suffering symptoms of anxiety a few weeks ago I had a chest x-ray and EKG in addition to the aforementioned bloodwork.  All came back uremarkable.
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.
Here are the pros and cons of the top fad diets and weight loss plans of the year.