Magnesium deficiency, anxiety, tremors

I was diagnosed with magnesium deficiency today. I have all the classic symptoms. Basically, the cause is use of acid reducers for an ulcer. These meds can keep your body from absorbing the magnesium it needs. So, my symptoms are; severe anxiety, palpitations, raised heart rate, tingling and numb sensations, insomnia, muscle cramping, jerking (upper and lower body) ) and probably a few more that aren't coming to mind. So, I was given a magnesium supplement today by my doctor, magnesium glycinate. But, I am also very sensitive to medications. So, I have taken two doses of the mag, and noticed that they do help a lot with the jerking. So, the mag is helping. But, I am getting a paradoxical effect with the anxiety issue. When I take the mag., I feel sleepy, but, my anxiety increases. It happened this way both times that I took my dose. It's not my imagination, or, just the return of the anxiety because I can be feeling sort of calm when before I take the mag, and then after I take it, I feel much more anxious. So, has anyone had this experience? How does a person with a paradoxical effect and sensitivity supplement magnesium if their stomach can't absorb it because of acid reducers which I need to make sure my ulcer heals? And, it's also very obvious that I need to supplement the magnesium because of the many symptoms I have. Your ideas would be so welcome. I am very sleep deprived as this weekend the magnesium deficiency became very obvious, all of my symptoms showed up at once and I haven't slept much since. I'm a ball of anxiety and sleep deprivation. I have e-mailed my doctor and will wait for his response. But, other ideas are so welcome because if someone has a similar experience, it will be so helpful to me.
Thanks!

This discussion is related to muscle weakness/jerking/pain/fatigue.
Read more
Follow
Upvote - 0
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Magnesium can be the cause of anxiety and tremors. However, they can also be due to drugs, alcohol, smoking, lack of sleep, poor sleep patterns, stress and fatigue. They can be seen in peripheral neuropathies of diabetes, in hyperthyroidism, parasomnia, multiple sclerosis, TIAs or transient ischemic attacks or mini strokes, hypoglycemia, disorders of calcium metabolism, hyperparathyroidism etc. Certain epilepsies too could be the cause. Consult an internal medicine specialist or your PCP. Discuss these possibilities with your doctor.  A comprehensive investigation is required keeping all the points in mind. You will need blood sugar monitoring, MRI of brain and cervical spine, T3, T4, TSH, sleep studies, serum electrolytes, brain EEG, etc to reach a diagnosis.
Take care!
A related discussion, feet twitching was started.