Is there another care provider u can schedule an appt with? Expecting u to wait til aug with ur symptoms is unrealistic!!!! I wish u the best
I've attempted to, but all the doctors in my town work together and "don't want to step on each other's toes" as they put it. I've thought of trying in Edmonton, but that's 2 hours away, and I'd have to start all over again with finding a doctor, and then the history and test repeating, which is going to take time, which I'm not certain I have.
I'm gradually getting worse everyday, and I feel achy, weak, tired and swollen.
I would advise you to change your doctor.
If you have insurance, give them a call and have them provide a hematologist that is innetwork and accepting patients. They may be able to get you in sooner than the one you're waiting on. (I know people think insurances are of the devil, but sometimes they CAN benefit you if you talk to them!)
Other than that, I don't know what to tell you. A bone marrow biopsy is the next logical step. It's simply a matter of getting in for the procedure. Have you tried getting in contact with other doctors in the area? Not for a second opinion, but for additional testing and treatment. If you do that, PLEASE make sure all your doctors are aware of each other and working together.
August is a really long time IMHO. There's got to be another doctor in the area that can take you or do the biopsy on behalf of your other doctors. In the meantime, if any of your symptoms change or get worse, to the ER you should go. You have altered fluid levels in your body now because you're retaining in some ways and you've got diarrhea.
Good luck hun. I sincerely hope this passes. :( Keep us posted.
Thank you everyone.
I've attempted to see 3 other doctors, as well as talking to the Emergency Room doctors, when I end up there. The issue is that the town I live in, only has one hospital and all of the doctors from the only clinic in town, all work there and work together.
I've completely lost faith in the medical community here.
We're moving within a few months, and the town we're moving to, is where I think my next logical step is, however it's 1.5 hrs away to their doctors, and again starting from scratch.
The unknown and the fact that I've been progressively getting worse, since May, is really wearing on me.
My husband and kids are worried, and if we only had a name, it would help. But to make me wait until August for the initial Hematologist appointment, how long after that will the bone marrow be?!
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Petechiae can result from autoimmune disorders, such as lupus or rheumatoid arthritis, bone marrow disorders such as leukemia, inflammation of the veins, as a side effect of certain medications like birth control pills. Deficiency of Vitamin B12, folic acid, or Vit K could also be the cause. Platelet count is often increased in inflammatory conditions like rheumatoid arthritis. It is also increased in some bone marrow disorders like myeloproliferative disorders (polycythemia vera, essential thrombocytosis, idiopathic myelofibrosis and chronic myeloid leukemia). So yes, bone marrow testing is a must. Also since you have diarrhea, rash etc, Crohn’s disease should be ruled out. Take care!