Undiagnosed Symptoms Community

Odd Pain in lower abdomen

I am 19 years old, male.

Yesterday I woke up with a slight pain in my lower abdomen that gradually got worse throughout the day. By night it was pretty bad, enough to wake me up in the night multiple times. I went to the doctor today described the symptoms which are; dull, achy pain, with some sharp pains. Doing things like walking, running, jumping, and taking steps down hurt. The area is painful to the touch, quite painful actually. The are looks slightly swollen. Its right under my "belly" maybe 4 inches from my belly button, but the pain can radiate all across the area and even up to my upper abdomen. I don't have any other symptoms like vomiting or fever. Also, when I lay down the pain will shift with my position.

The doctor said that if it was appendicitis I would already know it was. She had a urine sample done which came back with a trace amount of white blood cells in it, she told me that male urine shouldn't have any and she sent it to check for Urinary Tract Infection. But from what I've read it doesn't seem a URI is that painful to the touch and I don't many of the usual symptoms with it. She also suggested STDS, but I highly doubt these. She also said it was a very trace amount of white blood cells.

If it isn't URI or an STD what could it be? How worried should I do? When should I start to get worried, if ever?

Thank you,

I apologize for the long message but it seems like an unusual place to have pain and felt it needed explaining.
Thanks for writing to the forum!

The origin of pain can either be in the abdominal muscles or inside the abdomen. The place which you describe can become painful in case of an abscess or an infected hematoma in abdominal muscles. It could also be a periumbilical hernia that has got trapped resulting in  small bowel obstruction or mesenteric ischemia. Early appendicitis too behaves this way and so does peptic ulcer. It could also be cystitis, urinary tract infection, diverticulitis or inflammatory bowel disease.
It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage. A CT scan or an ultrasound can tell for sure what the swelling is. Maybe you can seek another opinion. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
My STD tests, as I expected, came back negative. The culture done on my urine also came back negative of infection and seems normal.

Fortunately the pain is getting better little by little every day (its now been two days). I don't know if I should still see another doctor because the pain is going away and is a huge improvement since monday, but I still have some pain.

What do you think?