This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Avatar universal

Overheating of the body

My wife is 81 and is a heavy smoker. Almost every day for the last 4 years she awakes in the morning feeling very very hot. Her arms and legs feel cool to touch but her body from the neck to hips feels boiling hot. She does not sweat visibly and during the attacks her temperature is around 93.4 (takin from the ear). She does not breath deeply, almost panting all the time due to a blocked nose.She has seen specialists who have no idea what causes it. Most times after a couple of hours her body cools down only to rise later in the day.Could it be due to lack of oxygen in her blood as a result of her shallow breathing? She feels very tired all the time with little energy. Shehas no pains anywhere. She has had all the blood tests proving thyroid to be normal. Medicatio included blood pressure tabs, chorlestral tabs, blood thinner tabs. Hope you can help
Read more
Discussion is closed
Follow - 1
Upvote - 0
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
233190 tn?1278553401
A temperature of 93.4 is markedly low, and I would check to see if the thermometer is accurate.  If that, in fact, is the correct temperature, medical care should be sought immediately.  

That said, there are some thyroid conditions that can lead to fluctuations in body temperature.  Obtaining blood tests to check should be done.  If the initial thyroid tests are negative, you can discuss with an endocrinologist more specific tests.  In fact, an endocrinologist would be the consultant of choice if the cause remains elusive.

As for fatigue and shallow breathing, there are a variety of causes for this.  Checking the blood for anemia, as well as obtaining pulmonary function tests and lung imaging can be considered as well.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin Pho, M.D.

Discussion is closed