Avatar universal

Pain after Pulmonary embolism and plueracy

I was diagnosed with a PE on the 19th November 2010, they stated that it was an extensive clot on my right lung. I have just turned 30 in December and class my self as a healthy and active adult with my profession being a PE teacher. I had no risk factors apart from being on the pill for 10 years.
The pain started very suddenly, with sharp pains every time i took a breath, movement and fluttering sensations when still. I was in hospital for over a week and was put on warfarin for six months.
I am still very concerned as it is now 6 weeks later and i am still experiencing pains in my chest, sometimes sharp but mainly like a dull, heavy sensation. I am on morphine 20 mg in the morning and 20 mg at night and oramorph in the day when necessary, if the pain worsens. The pain is worse at night and in the morning but is generally there throughout the day. I suffer doing general house duties as i get out of breath with pain after. I have been back to the doctors once and the hospital once but no scan was done just an x ray. I was wondering if i need further follow up? and how long this pain is likey to go on for?
Thanks Paula

This discussion is related to pulmonary embolism and plurisy.
7 Responses
Avatar universal
The pain should get better with time. The main question is where did it come from? Did you have a DVT (clot in your leg) and was it unprovoked.(not associated with trauma or surgery). The pill could be a factor. You need a work up by a hematologist to make sure you do not have a clotting problem. With your age I would have been more aggressive early on. Infusion of a clot dissolving medication when first diagnosed.
Avatar universal
Thanks for that, its great to here other peoples opinions, it really helps. I didnt have a dvt and i believe it was unprovoked, they named it a spontaneous PE. How do you go about seeing a hematologist, do i need to see my doctor first? Do they offer another CT scan if pain continues normally, just want to be put at rest.
Avatar universal
i just want my mind to be put at rest!!! lol
351246 tn?1379682132
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Chest pain aggravated by laughing yawning, moving in certain directions, stretching and deep breathing goes more in favor of costochondritis, which causes pain and tenderness at points where your ribs attach to your breastbone.  The inflammation around the joint area gives sharp pain on taking a breath. This can also cause tenderness on pressing the area which pains. An orthopedic doctor can diagnose this for you. Generally there is no cause. However it can be due to infection, blow, injury, or fibromyalgia. It usually goes away on its own. Otherwise it can be treated with muscle relaxants, and non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs. It can also be muscle pull. Shingles can also start this way.
Pleuritis and Pulmonary embolism are other possibilities causing shortness of breath with chest pain. A CT scan of the chest can rule out both. Another possibility that can explain the pain is pericarditis. It causes chest pain aggravated by laughing yawning and deep breathing and also causes radiation of pain to arms. Again an EKG, heat echo and chest X-ray is required. You should get a repeat CT and further follow up if you are breathless and have pain.
I think you should discuss these possibilities with your doctor. It is difficult to comment beyond this without examining. A comprehensive investigation is required keeping all the points in mind. Take care!
Avatar universal
If you had a PE it had to come from somewhere away from the lung. The right side of the heart,veins of the abdomen, arms or most common the leg veins. You may need a referral from your doctor to see a hematologist to get evaluated. The main goal is to identify the source and/or cause to prevent another one from occurring. I assume you are on a blood thinner for the time being. For a DVT or PE that is idiopathic (unknown cause) it is recommended that you be treated with a blood thinner for 6-12 months.
Avatar universal
hi thanks for replying, yes i am on warfarin for 6 months and then will be reviewed again. I have been to my doctors this morning and she has now reffered me to a hematologist to be evaluated as i am worried about another one occuring and why i got one in the first place.The doctor at the hospital will not give me another scan as he says there is no need as they already know there is a clot there so it wouldnt change the treatment so would be a waste of time. I will let you know how my results go
Thanks Paula
Avatar universal
I was diagnosed with a pulmonary embolism two and hlf months ago and i still have a dull pain in my chest when i breath, it's like a knot  there or tightness and i was just curious if that is normal, i have been on blood thinner after i was diagnosed i just figured it wouldn't feel like that anymore and i feel it mostly in the morning, just wanted to make sure that it's normal or should i go to the hospital?
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Undiagnosed Symptoms Community

Top General Health Answerers
363281 tn?1590104173
Nelson, New Zealand
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
19694731 tn?1482849837
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.
Here are the pros and cons of the top fad diets and weight loss plans of the year.