Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
25k Members

Pain in lower right abdomen

My fiance has had moderate pain in his lower right abdomen for about 6 weeks now. He says the pain is worse when he's been sitting for a while, but is not dependent on the food he eats. His doctors is very inattentive and it's preventing him from going back after his last appointment. He had a chest X-ray to see if it was a muscle or skeletal problem, but the X-ray showed nothing abnormal. We thought it might be gallstones, but assume the X-ray would have showed those and the doctor didn't seem to think that was the problem.

He's not overweight, but his cholesterol is a few points high (we've been eating better and exercising more the past few weeks to deal with that). He has no history of gastrointestinal problems.

I'm not necessarily looking for an answer, just some ideas of what we can push the doctor to test for.
Has he had an ultrasound scan of his entire abdomen?  If not, that is what I would push for.  I have had it done when I had gallbladder problems.  You never know, it could be a tumor or an obstruction.  
Thanks for writing to the forum!
Lower right abdomen pain is commonly due to appendicitis. The pain, can at times come and go and not give the classic picture. Crohn’s disease, diverticulitis, infection in kidney, kidney stones, constipation, and an abscess in rectus abdominis muscle or psoas muscle can all cause lower right abdomen pain. An ultrasound or CT scan of abdomen is definitely required.
I would strongly recommend you to see a gastroenterologist (a specialist who looks after the diseases of our digestive system). It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage.  Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!