Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
25k Members

Pain under knee caps

Having knee pain walking up and down stairs (going UP is worse), or using knees to get myself on/off or up/down anything.  I'm 49 years old.  My GP found out that I was extremely low in Vitamin D and put me on a high prescripton dose of Vitamin D or 3 months (in 2007), and then supplements afterward.  I had also been having problems with my elbows at the time.  After about 6 months I could notice a big change in my elbows.  It was wonderful not to have that daily pain in my elbows.  I only have minor discomfort now when lifting groceries or carrying a bucket of water.  At least it doesn't last for days, like it did before.  However, it hasn't really done anything for my knees.  Or if it has, my knees would be 10 times worse than they are now ... and considering how my knees are feeling with the Vitamin D, I can only imagine how bad it would be without it!!!   Last year I saw a neurologist and rheumatologist (spelling?) for my knees, and I don't have arthritis or fibromayalgia (spelling?).  I've never been an athlete, or jogger, or had any injuries. No repetitive motions.  There is nothing that would explain why I should be having this pain.  The company I work for just had some people come in to give us our annual checkups - for insurance purposes.  I passed with flying colors.  All my numbers are in the normal range -- weight, sugar, cholesterol, blood pressure,BMI, etc.   Any suggestions???  

Without examination,confirming a diagnosis is tough but the various possibilities for your symptoms are tendonitis (an inflammation of the tendon) , ligament injury,arthritis(rheumatoid,osteoarthritis,psoritic,gout or reactive arthritis) , chondomalacia(softening of the cartilage under the kneecap (patella) and mainly found in young women) , osteomalacia(deficiency of vit D in adults),metastasis and bursitis.
Complete physical examination along with investigations like ESR blood, Rheumatoid factor, creatine kinase,x-rays /MRI knee joint,serum levels of vit D and bone scans may be needed to make a diagnosis.Pls consult an orthopedician or rheumatologist for that.Till then apply warm compresses and take some over the counter anti inflammatory pain reliever like ibuprofen(advil) or diclofenac.You can also apply topical antinflammatory creams.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional doubts.