Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
25k Members

Pain under left rib

For the last week or so I've been having an occasional stabbing pain near the bottom of my left rib and other times right under my left breast. It was stabbing pain randomly, but now it's just a dull pain whenever I bend over or lean over. It's gotten so bad that I practically have to be laying down to keep it from hurting. It almost feels like there's a bubble underneath my ribs. I'm a very healthy 23-year old female with no history of any medical problems, so I'm trying not to worry, but it's very very uncomfortable and getting a little concerning. I have a doctor's appointment in a month and a half, but I am concerned that it's too uncomfortable to let it go until then.
it could be a blockage somewhere in your colon. anywhere betweeen your stomach and your rectum could be on both your left lower and right lower you said left lower orr you could be experiencing probelms on your ovaries. dont be scared because there is always solutions until you see the doctor try to lay down as much as possible dont take too many tylonel or whatever pain meds bc that could lead to mroe porblems just try to relax until you see the doctor i know its hard. but trust me it will end.
I would see your family doctor.  Maybe it could be pleurisy or some other lung problem or something else like inflamation of the rib cage.  I sure don't know, I had pleurisy once and it felt better if I held a pillow tightly against my chest.
Sorry I can't be more helpful.  Sincerely, Sharon
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Sharp stabbing pain under left ribs could be due to acidity with gastric reflux or hiatal hernia. Take a late night snack. Raise head end of bed. Take Omeprazole empty stomach in morning and an antacid gel at bedtime. Refrain from smoking, alcohol, fuzzy drinks and spicy food. Walking around also helps clear gas. I would strongly recommend you to see a gastroenterologist (a specialist who looks after the diseases of our digestive system) if these tips help you. Other than that it could also be costochondritis, which causes pain and tenderness at points where your ribs attach to your breastbone.  The inflammation around the joint area gives sharp pain on taking a breath. This can also cause tenderness on pressing the area which pains. An orthopedic doctor can diagnose this for you. Generally there is no cause. However it can be due to infection, blow, injury, or fibromyalgia. It usually goes away on its own. Otherwise it can be treated with muscle relaxants, and non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs. It can also be due to pleuritis (inflammation of covering of lung) or pericarditis (inflammation of covering of heart). Since you do not mention any other symptoms, it is less likely to be any of these.
Since I cannot examine you and know other related conditions you may be having, nor is a detailed history possible on net, I have listed the various possibilities that should be looked into. Please consult your PCP for primary examination followed by proper referral. Take care!
thanks everyone for your input! it was a blockage in my colon. for now they don't think it's a physical blockage, so i'm on miralax and on the road to recovery. if it does return, at least i know what the problem is and they'll refer me to a gastroenterologist. you guys are spot on.