Aa
A
A
A
Close
Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
25.1k Members

Painfull swollen gland/lymph node on one side.

Hello All,

I suddenly got a painfull swollen gland / lymph node under my jaw bone / neck area on only one side.  The gland is swollen enough that you can almost notice a difference between each side of my neck.  This started last night out of nowhere.  The only other symptoms I have is a slightly sore and runny nose but I just got over a sinus infection.  Otherwise I feel fine.  Why is it only on one side and what could it be?  Thank you for your help
1 Responses
563773 tn?1374250139
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Hello,

Lymph nodes are small (1-2cm) and bean-shaped nodes. they are very important to your body keeping you healthy. Lymphadenopathy (swollen lymph nodes) is usually caused by a viral or bacterial infection. Other causes include allergic reactions, arthritis, cancer, metabolic diseases, and an overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism).

In sinusitis, the glands in the neck are most likely to swell—a common response to a cold or upper respiratory infection.So pls don’t worry as it seems like it is due to your sinus infection,Treatment is usually cold compresses,over the counter anti-inflammatory analgesics(pain killers) like acetaminophen or ibuprofen,antibiotics if cause of infection is suspected to be a bacteria and surgical drainage if there is any abscess formation.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional doubts.

Top General Health Answerers
363281 tn?1518219421
Nelson, New Zealand
1756321 tn?1547098925
Queensland, Australia
19694731 tn?1482853437
AL
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.
Here are the pros and cons of the top fad diets and weight loss plans of the year.