Pleurisy or pulled muscle?

I have had pleurisy on and off since I was 18, now 35.  I was told that once you get this it never actually goes away.  About 2 years ago, I had it under my right arm pit.  I couldn't lift my arm, lay on that side while sleeping, and taking a deep breath would hurt.  Does anyone know if you can be left with  a nerve type pain from this?  I keep getting this real sharp stabbing pain under my arm, in my ribs.  I don't have a cold, but have been taking antibiotics for a severe sinus infection.  Does this maybe cause pleurisy, since there was a lot of drainage while on antibiotic, maybe it settled in chest?  Doc said that when you get pleurisy it usually always re appears at the same location.  Can anyone shed some light on this?  Thanks in advance.  I love this site, everyone is so helpful!!!
When to Seek Medical Care

Talk with your doctor about any chest pain that worries you. Many causes of chest pain are dangerous and even life-threatening.

If you have high fever, shaking chills, and a cough that produces thick green or yellow sputum, you may have pneumonia. Talk to your doctor, who may want you to have a chest x-ray.
Your risk of having another disease along with pleurisy increases with your age and the presence of other serious medical conditions such as heart disease, emphysema, chronic bronchitis, diabetes, and collagen vascular diseases.
If you have a swollen leg or arm along with pleurisy, you may have a deep venous thrombosis and pulmonary embolus. This is a blood clot in the vein that has broken off and traveled to your lung.
You should almost always see a doctor for new chest pain, especially if you are very short of breath, have a high fever, or feel lightheaded or if the pain keeps you from moving around comfortably.
If you are in severe distress, call 911 immediately for ambulance transport to the nearest hospital's emergency department.

Angela

Looking for a Doctor?
Shop for health care like an expert. Find the best doctors based on reviews from patients like you.