Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
25k Members

Pressure in upper chest after food; no other symptoms

Hello--I have mild pressure in my upper chest and throat area after eating fried food and drinking ice water, no other symptoms.  Tums does not seem to have helped, and feels different than heartburn I experienced during pregnancy.  Any ideas?
Thank you--
Lynne
hiya heartburn can affect you in different ways so it may just be that and maybe over the counter remedies are not working because it is too strong go to your doctor who can maybe give you some stronger medication to help with the symptoms your having. good luck hope you get it all sorted. xx
I'd quit the fried food.  If you still have problems, see a doctor.  Oddly enough, Celiac disease can cause feelings of heartburn and acid reflux that the usual medications won't help.  Or you could have a hiatal hernia or other possibilities.  
Thank you for your responses.  It's odd that it came on suddenly and persists in waves overnight and into the next day.  There is no burning sensation--just pressure.

BTW I am a 33 yo female.
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
This could be heartburn caused by gastric reflux. The only way to know for sure is take Omeprazole empty stomach in morning and an antacid gel at bedtime. Refrain from smoking, alcohol, fuzzy drinks and spicy food. Walking around also helps clear gas. I would strongly recommend you to see a gastroenterologist (a specialist who looks after the diseases of our digestive system) if these tips help you. Other than that it could also be costochondritis, pleuritis (inflammation of covering of lung) or pericarditis (inflammation of covering of heart). Since you do not mention any other symptoms, it is less likely to be any of these. Please consult your PCP for primary examination followed by proper referral.
Take care!