Avatar universal

Prickly arm pain

I have intermittent prickly pain (like needles under the skin trying to poke through) on the upperside of my arms from the wrist to the elbow.  This is the only location that I ever get it and it can be one arm, the other or both.  I have no idea what triggers it.  I can wake up in the middle of the night with the pain or it can start as I'm sitting reading the newspaper.  The only relief I've found it running cold water over the affected arm(s) which dulls the pain.  I've been to an allergist, a skin specialist and a neurologist.  Also, my Mom, an Aunt, an Uncle and brother all have this same problem.  No one can help...
Can you?
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
1636858 tn?1307458394
Try a chiropractor or physiotherapist,as it may be  a nerve compression from the spine.
Helpful - 0
351246 tn?1379682132
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
If you have been to a neurologist—then nerve conduction studies must have been done—if not get them done. There are many causes of nerve disorder causing pins and needles paresthesia including diabetes, hypothyroidism, chronic involvement of liver or kidney, chronic alcohol use etc. Hypoparathyroidism too should be looked into apart from hypothyroidism. Neck strain, spondylotic changes in cervical vertebrae, bone disease or bad posture should be looked into. Nerve infections as in Lyme’s disease and nerve disorder such as Multiple sclerosis too should be investigated. I would suggest you get the blood levels of the following checked if they have not already been checked: potassium, calcium, sodium, magnesium, vitamin B complex, or vitamins B1, B3, or B6 and Vitamin D. Get your kidney function, parathyroid gland function and adrenal function tests done because these affect the electrolyte balance in the body. Stress, alcohol, caffeine and fatigue all cause similar symptoms.
Since I cannot examine you and know other related conditions you may be having, nor is a detailed history possible on net, I have listed the various possibilities that should be looked into. Please consult your PCP for primary examination followed by proper referral.
Take care!
Helpful - 0
Avatar universal
Thanks for the info.  You've given me plenty to follow up on.  At least it's something to look into rather than just coping with the pain.

fyi - I do have hypothyroidism and am on medication for it (75 mcg of l-thyroxine daily).
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Undiagnosed Symptoms Community

Top General Health Answerers
363281 tn?1643235611
Nelson, New Zealand
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
19694731 tn?1482849837
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Discharge often isn't normal, and could mean an infection or an STD.
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.