Undiagnosed Symptoms Community

Reaction to disolvable sutures

Can dissolvable sutures create facial pain and hair loss.  I am a 38 year old female.  I had an abdominoplasty surgery ten years ago after having twins.  Within a couple months of surgery, I developed a rash under my armpits, began having major facial pains, espically around the nose area.  I looked normal but experienced major facial pain and I started suffering from chronic fatigue.  I went to every doctor (EN&T, allergist, gastro, derma, primary, etc) and all the tests came back normal.  I went to see a bioligist (homeopath) and they looked at my blood under a microscope.  They prescribed me with several herbal supplements that I take daily.  It is not a cure, but I couldn't survive without them.  They help mask the pain, so that I can actually function.  About a year ago, I had a breast lift - no implants.  About two months after the procedure, I began to notice hair loss.  Now, I've lost half my hair and have a burning scalp.  The dermatologist doesn't see any issues w/ my scalp.  I've tried new shampoos, oil, vitamins, and rogaine. Nothing works.  In fact, if I use rogaine, my head swells and becomes severely infected w/ puss, etc.  I know the doctors don't believe me and think that my symptoms are idiopathic.  I know 100% they are not.  There is a direct link w/ the two surgeries and my illness.  I think I'm having an allergic reaction to the sutures, but the plasti doesn't believe it.  Someone please help!
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Iron deficiency is the commonest cause of hair loss. Iron deficiency can be due to poor intake or poor absorption or due to hidden loss from bleeding as is seen in UTI and gut problems like IBS. The cause of anemia has to be found out by various blood tests. Iron replacement along with diet rich in iron and hemoglobin should be given. Please consult a hematologist if iron deficiency is detected. Hair loss can also be due to dandruff, dermatitis, shampoos, oils, soaps, dust and dirt etc. Thyroid disorders and diabetes too could be a cause. Insomnia, stress and anxiety along with poor diet and excess of caffeine too can be the cause.  Yes, increased bilirubin can cause hair loss. This happens mainly in hereditary hemochromatosis which is a genetic condition in which excess iron is absorbed from the gut and stored in various parts of the body.
Sharp pain in the face could be due to injury to a nerve or pinched nerve, an infection or a trauma. Hence it could be Trigeminal neuralgia, abscess in tooth, exposed root canal, internal ear infection, maxillary sinusitis, TMJ, migraine, herpes (recurrent) without rash or fibromyalgia localized to face.
It does not appear like a reaction to sutures, however if the allergy specialist feels so, you can test for allergy to the material of these sutures.
Do discuss this with your doctor and get yourself examined. Take care!