Right Sternocleidomastoid muscle

Hi, i am a 24yr old healthy male and i was working out the other week when i injured my neck/shoulder and after a couple of hours i felt as though i had trapped a nerve or something and my shoulder and neck have hurt ever since, but the other day i noticed my right Sternocleidomastoid muscle sticking out of my neck more than usual so i went to the doctors and he checked my chest breathing and checked for enlarged nodes and he said he couldnt hear anything or feel anything and told me not to worry and enjoy my new year, and sent me for a blood test, it said haematology on the form he gave me to give the nurse and not urgent written on it .. plus he knows i suffer from anxiety and tried to reasure me there was nothing wrong.. and this got me thinking ( probberly me being paronoid ) that there is something wrong.. and today i have been googling my symtoms and the results are bleak.. the only thing i could find like my symptoms was a guy who injured himself playing cricket and got these symptoms also.. could you please give me some info because im freaking out and the doctor told me to come back in ten days and it seems to long to wait when i have just found these symtoms online , thank you. this is the link to the person with the same symtoms as me ( i think )http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/651807
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest

Without examination,confirming a diagnosis is tough but it looks like a spasm of sternocleidomastoid muscle which can be as a result of strain of the muscle.This muscle helps in inspiration and so if there is any spasm of this muscle ,then it can cause pain during inspiration also.

Apply warm compresses on the area and take some over the counter anti-inflammatory pain killer like ibuprofen or diclofenac.Application of topical muscle relaxants will also help.

If the symptoms persist then pls consult a orthopedician.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing and if you have any additional queries.Kind regards.

Helpful - 0
Thanks for your reply "kindd", my symptoms are still the same but now i have what seems like a blocked ear and underneath my right ear lobe it just feels solid it doesnt feel like a lump just flat and solid were as on my left side under my ear lobe there is a groove. and at the back of my right ear there is a bump where as on the left there is not.
if i had some sort of infection of the muscle because my right shoulder tendent into my right side of my chest feel like there burning when i move them. would this cause my nodes to enlarge due to muscle infection. the doctor told me to come back in ten days time that means i will have to wait another 6 days now.. and i have to wait another 4 or 5 days for my blood test results.. plus these new symptoms didnt show as i am aware until one day after i saw the doctor.. is this cause enough to see the doctor ASAP.. thank you..
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Undiagnosed Symptoms Community