Ruptured Navel

I am a big chap and after a lot of weight gain the muscles at the top of my navel seemed to finally give up and rupture - painlessly - producing what is now a reasonably-sized softish (firmer than surrounding tissue but only somewhat) lump just above my navel.

My question is whether there is any point in seeing anybody about this - it does not hurt or do anything - now it has happened, or should I just keep an eye on it?
Thanks for writing to the forum!
What you have is probably an umbilical hernia. In itself, it is not dangerous. However it can increase in size, trap the underlying intestines and cause either ischemia of bowel or intestinal obstruction, both of which are medical emergencies. Hence most doctors advice a surgical repair. Please consult your PCP to start with and get a referral for a surgeon.
Hope this helps. It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!

Looking for a Doctor?
Shop for health care like an expert. Find the best doctors based on reviews from patients like you.