SWOLLEN ANKLE ???????????????????????

I am 54yrs. old and for the past month I noticed that my left ankle has been alittle swollen. Theres not much pain, just alittle twinge now and then. I went to my doctor and he looked at it and said, it should go away whatever it is. Well its a month later and there is still alittle swelling. I don't think anything is broken, I can walk on it with no pain except for the little twinge. It feels like my foot is swollen, but its not. My right ankle is fine. Nobody seems concerned, but thats how my father started with congestive heart failure when he was 80. I just wish someone could give me an idea what might be causing this. My doctor told me to cut back on salt, but I don't use salt AT ALL. Any help would be appreciated. Its starting to worry me.
Usually conditions of heart, kidney, liver or low protein or severe anemia, which cause ankle swelling cause both ankles to swell. Hence chances are less that any of these are the cause. A single ankle can swell in gout, rheumatoid arthritis, deep vein thrombosis, or ankle strain. It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage. You will need to follow this up with an orthopedic specialist.  Take care!
Looking for a Doctor?
Shop for health care like an expert. Find the best doctors based on reviews from patients like you.