Undiagnosed Symptoms Community

Sore throat help

On Sunday evening February 21st 2010, I came down with a slight fever of 100.7. By monday evening I had congestion and a cough with a sore throat. By Wednesday morning my sore throat had become so bad that  couldn't sleep Tuesday  night and decided to go to the doctor. At the doctor I mentioned my ear was hurting as well and associated it to the sore throat. She looked into my ears and told me she say red and bulging. Also she did a strep culture and sent to the lab. She treated me with a 10 day x2 a day 875mg dosage of Amoxicillin for an ear infection and strep. While on the antibiotics I started losing my voice. I took the full course of meds and during which my sore throat and ear ache went away and my voice returned. The day I stopped taking the medication I noticed my throat was starting to hurt again. Now here I am sitting March 9th 2010 and my sore throat is terrible. I have no fever, no appitite and no congestion. Though I am starting to feel my voice goin again. I had my tonsils and adnoids removed about 2 years ago so I am pretty sure it isn't tonsilitis. I changed my tooth brush, I gargle with warm salt water, I have been drinking Traditional Medicinals "Throat Coat" Tea and trying not to talk much but the pain is not going away. I don't have medical insurance and the last visit in february cost me 400 dollars. If you have any idea's as to what may be causing my sore throat or any other remedies I can try I would appreciate it more then you know. I am kind of scared. Thanks
Hopefully by now you've already gotten some help?  

Unfortunately, the day you stopped taking the medicine & your sore throat was returning was the day you would have wanted to call the doctor who prescribed the initial treatment and reported it.  When an antibiotic isn't strong enough or isn't taken for long enough for the infection, this can set up potential for a super-infection which takes something stronger to knock it out with the next attempt.  

I hope the doctor called you with the results of your throat culture.  If she failed to do this, calling her office, asking for those results and now, in addition explaining the situation would be in order.  The point of the culture is to see what kind of bacteria (if any) she's dealing with so that she might see to it that the appropriate and best antibiotic she can prescribe is prescribed for you.  Evidently, what she prescribed was not strong enough to knock out your problem, since you completed the whole thing.

You might find her willing to prescribe something more if you call and explain the situation without requiring you to be seen again, if she has pertinent throat culture results that says what it is she's dealing with.