Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
25k Members

Sulphuric/ Eggy burps and stomach cramps

I found the above  topic last night at this same forum, though its dated 6 yrs back and I couldnt find anything more recent as I was searching for an answer to my own problem of the foulest burps that ever existed, then comes the diarhea and finally the vomitting. For me this can last up to two or three days. I was so relieved to find that other people have and are experiencing these same symptoms. Though im worried that no one has found and answer, maybe they have, as I said, the only forum I found for this is on this web site and its 6 yrs old. Im hoping someone has some new answer to this same problem. Its dibilitating when it happens, hard to go to work while im busy crapping and puking myself to half to death. Again, the burps are the absolute worst, those alone taste so bad its enough to make me sick and the sulphuric smell is just awful. Really its like im farting out my mouth. Hopefully after 6 yrs someone has some kind of real answer to this problem.

Thk you.
Yes, I've had this lovely condition for over 20 years.  I thought I was the only one.  The foul, sulfuric rotten egg/bad red wine burps and flatulence (and diarrhea) are mortifying.  I  have studied the entire human body (in my profession), and have close friendships with several internists.  However, I have no health insurance.  Based on what I've studied and have been told, the most likely culprits are gastroparesis (very slow emptying of the stomach) OR gall bladder disease.  It is true that when your stomach retains its food load an excessively long time, the contents can somewhat "ferment."  I also have been told that bile typically tastes sulfuric.  So, I am no closer to reaching a conclusion.  Keep in mind, though, that fatty, rich, or even spicy foods can irritate conditions such as gastroparesis and gall bladder.  You simply may have to avoid these foods, and avoid eating massive amounts of food at one sitting.  There also are medications that help reduce the likelihood of spasm of the stomach's outlet.  Of course, you may require gallbladder ultrasound, etc.
Hydrogen sulfide is what smells like rotten eggs. While I have only smelled that smell once and don't remember it, I do have the "egg burps" and have gotten sick that way.

The last time I did, it stayed with me, so that I nearly swore off of chicken, since it started after I ate some slightly uncooked chicken I didn't know was slightly uncooked until I got further in. I'm guessing that it was salmonella, but perhaps not such a bad strain.

The term of illness was intermittent and came with some nausea, but I never vomited. (I do have a strong constitution.) Again, I guess salmonellosis, though I can't prove it. Salmonella is a hydrogen sulfide producer, though.

Regi dG
A Microbiology student
Gastroparesis! Apparently it is not profitable enough to warrant more research.
not a cause of cancer  smell of rotten eggs
I'm sure at this point (2 years later) you may not even have the same email address, but I wanted to chime in here.  I had very similar symptoms. I was prescribed zantac for years, until a doctor finally figured out I have Celiac Disease. Obviously not saying that you have it, but once I cut out gluten from my diet (that caused all of the villi in my small intestine to lie flat), I immediately stopped having any symptoms. Worth a quick blood test to find out if you might be a candidate.