Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
25k Members

Sulphuric/ Eggy burps and stomach cramps

I found the above  topic last night at this same forum, though its dated 6 yrs back and I couldnt find anything more recent as I was searching for an answer to my own problem of the foulest burps that ever existed, then comes the diarhea and finally the vomitting. For me this can last up to two or three days. I was so relieved to find that other people have and are experiencing these same symptoms. Though im worried that no one has found and answer, maybe they have, as I said, the only forum I found for this is on this web site and its 6 yrs old. Im hoping someone has some new answer to this same problem. Its dibilitating when it happens, hard to go to work while im busy crapping and puking myself to half to death. Again, the burps are the absolute worst, those alone taste so bad its enough to make me sick and the sulphuric smell is just awful. Really its like im farting out my mouth. Hopefully after 6 yrs someone has some kind of real answer to this problem.

Thk you.
Yes, I've had this lovely condition for over 20 years.  I thought I was the only one.  The foul, sulfuric rotten egg/bad red wine burps and flatulence (and diarrhea) are mortifying.  I  have studied the entire human body (in my profession), and have close friendships with several internists.  However, I have no health insurance.  Based on what I've studied and have been told, the most likely culprits are gastroparesis (very slow emptying of the stomach) OR gall bladder disease.  It is true that when your stomach retains its food load an excessively long time, the contents can somewhat "ferment."  I also have been told that bile typically tastes sulfuric.  So, I am no closer to reaching a conclusion.  Keep in mind, though, that fatty, rich, or even spicy foods can irritate conditions such as gastroparesis and gall bladder.  You simply may have to avoid these foods, and avoid eating massive amounts of food at one sitting.  There also are medications that help reduce the likelihood of spasm of the stomach's outlet.  Of course, you may require gallbladder ultrasound, etc.
Hydrogen sulfide is what smells like rotten eggs. While I have only smelled that smell once and don't remember it, I do have the "egg burps" and have gotten sick that way.

The last time I did, it stayed with me, so that I nearly swore off of chicken, since it started after I ate some slightly uncooked chicken I didn't know was slightly uncooked until I got further in. I'm guessing that it was salmonella, but perhaps not such a bad strain.

The term of illness was intermittent and came with some nausea, but I never vomited. (I do have a strong constitution.) Again, I guess salmonellosis, though I can't prove it. Salmonella is a hydrogen sulfide producer, though.

Regi dG
A Microbiology student
Gastroparesis! Apparently it is not profitable enough to warrant more research.
not a cause of cancer  smell of rotten eggs
I'm sure at this point (2 years later) you may not even have the same email address, but I wanted to chime in here.  I had very similar symptoms. I was prescribed zantac for years, until a doctor finally figured out I have Celiac Disease. Obviously not saying that you have it, but once I cut out gluten from my diet (that caused all of the villi in my small intestine to lie flat), I immediately stopped having any symptoms. Worth a quick blood test to find out if you might be a candidate.
My husband has been suffering for 9 years (off and on) with these same rotten egg burps, stomach pain, diarrhea, then vomitting  and no one has really been able to help him.  The interesting thing is that about a year ago, my son (ten yrs old) and I joined him and are having the same symptoms except that I don't vomit.  Our other younger children often have diarrhea but no other symptoms, so I don't know if it is related or something completely different.  In discovering that we are not alone in this, I find hope that we may have answers.  My husband is at the Doctor's office now discussing this repeated illness.  Thank you all for your experiences and theories.  We will see what we can find.  If anyone knows more, I'd love to hear it.  THANK YOU!
I'm so glad I found this website!  I'm 36 years old and I've been suffering from the following for almost 8 years now:  eggy/sulfuric burps (Hydrogen sulfide), the nastiest burps you could ever have, adbominal pain (always follows after I've started burping), vomiting and diarrhea (the vomiting and diarrhea are not always the same in intensity).

The doctors are stumped.  We have tried Acid-Reflux medication (which I have also), then tried some other things and nothing worked.  This sickness keeps coming back and back and back again.  The most recent discussion from my doctor was to try: Metoclopramide and Dicylomine.  The Dicyclomine has helped rear back some of the pain, but it hasn't helped stop the main source of the problem.  At least I'm not ending up in the Emergency room, which I normally end up at.  

One of you said "Based on what I've studied and have been told, the most likely culprits are Gastroparesis (very slow emptying of the stomach).  Stomach retains its food load an excessively long time, the contents can somewhat "ferment."  I've haven't hear of this yet, but I'll check into this.  I'm just glad finally to see other people suffering from this thing.  I'm going to try to lose some weight and try to stop eating a lot at one time, which I do.  Eating 'chicken' and or 'spicy foods' seems to not be good!

PS:  Do any of you vomit yellowish substance, and does it smell really bad?  
I am on day 2 of an occurance of this routine. I have had this off and on for many years, and often thought that it might be gall bladder related. The yellowish substance could be bile from the gall bladder. It is not only very uncomfortable, very nasty, and makes work difficult, but it has not been determined that I have gall stones, or gall bladder issues. I recently had a very thorough check up with my PCP, and she had a gall bladder ultrasound done. Nothing was found. I have yet to determine any specific foods that start this.
For those who are suffering wth these symptoms,, you need to ask your doctors to run a test for all types of bacterial, protazoa,  and parasitic infection including campyoblasters. I had a friend who got these types of symptoms every time she ate taco bells nacho grande or wendy's salad... its GOT to be a type of transmittable infection that some people are more sensative to than others. I would suggest you look also into animal health issues with these symptoms because often things that are easily recognized by a vet in animals, goes completely overlooked by human medicine doctors simply because its not as common in people as animals.

*Best wishes and holding space for a full recovery!*
Hello Everyone:

Jennifer375 - I have run the backterial, protazoe and similar tests and found nothing.  I've had my gall bladder checked, done an endoscope, done a colonoscopy, and still....I get nothing.  I'm suffering from these attacks at least once every other month now, which is the most frequent.  I just want to end these attacks....once and for all.  

PS:  Dicyclomine does seem to give me pain relief and keeps me from ending up in the Emergency room; but again, I need to find the source of this problem!

I am 23 years old and I have been suffering from the same off and on symptoms since I was about 19. The first time it happened I was at work and ended up having to go home. That was the only time that I had diarrhea and vomiting. My mother whom did not live with me had to come get me so that I didnt have to drive. She says that was the first and only time one of her children vomitted in front of her and she almost vomitted from the smell.

Since then, all I get are the nasty, disgusting burps for a couple of hours or maybe even a day then it goes away. I can not put my finger on a certain food or anything that causes it. I had apendicitis 1 year ago too. I don't now if they are related. Does anyone that gets these symptoms had their apendix removed? I just had the burps this morning and it is soooooo embarrassing. What is going on with all of us. It sure is a releif to hear others have these nasty burps but I sure would like an answer. Please let me know if you do. My email is ***@**** luck to us all :)