Swollen, Heavy Eyelid

I often wake up with one large, swollen, heavy eyelid.  This has happened on and off since last year.  It alternates between both the left and right eye, top or bottom eyelid, and sometimes even both. There is no pain, and the swelling is normally slightly reduced after using a cold compress... It is not the same puffiness that occurs after crying, it is more of a heavy and droopy upper eyelid.  I have not noticed any patterns as to when the swelling occurs, and went weeks without makeup to see if that would help (if it was an allergic reaction.) This started when I was living away at school last winter, and just happened again (I have been here for one week now.)  It did not occur at home over the summer. Nothing seems to be effective, what could be the problem?  
Intermittent eyelid swelling is usually due to angioedema.
Looking for a Doctor?
Shop for health care like an expert. Find the best doctors based on reviews from patients like you.