Aa
A
A
A
Close
Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
25.2k Members

Swollen sternum

Today while standing next to my husband, I placed one of my hands on my husband's chest, leaned in and kissed him while he was sitting in a chair.  As I pushed off of him he immediately yelled out in painbecause his chest started to hurt him.  After the pain went away we discovered a lump located just below his sternum.  He is not having any difficulty breathing and he is not in any pain (just initially it hurt).  However, he was unable to keep his dinner down tonight, we think it might be just from his nerves, not knowing what is causing the lump.  Could he have just a protruding sternum that we did notice before or could it be a more serious situation?  
1 Responses
Just an update.  Went to the doctor and found out that the Xiphoid process broke off.  Which is very strange for this to happen the way it did.  It usually only breaks during CPR or from a seatbelt when involved in an accident. Getting a bone scan today to find out whyit broke so easily.  But after we got home we realized that the doctor didn't tell us the course of treatment.  Does anyone know?
Top General Health Answerers
363281 tn?1590104173
Nelson, New Zealand
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
19694731 tn?1482849837
AL
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.
Here are the pros and cons of the top fad diets and weight loss plans of the year.