A
A
A
Close
Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
25k Members
967168 tn?1477588089

Tests/Symptoms don't add up...

I started seeing a new cardiologist, EP; Rheumy and Internist.  They want me to have skin biopsies to see if they can find what's going on cardiac wise with my symptoms.  The one dr said there's 2 cardiac conditions he can think of that have my symptoms and a skin biopsy will help dx them; which I'm going to have Friday. (a long list of symptoms I can post if needed)

Immediately my mind went to the CC here dr suggesting Sarcoidosis and Amyloisdosis; has anyone had a skin biopsy to dx these? Anything else come to mind besides those 2? I'm not looking for a diagnosis; just some suggestions if anyone knows anything else or if you've been dx by this method.

I'm sure it will be negative, all my testing so far says I have low widespread inflammation throughout my body with no cause found - I've had 50 or 60 blood tests from various standpoints in 2011...(these were all high C3 -196; Complement CH50 - >61; C-Reactive Protein - 7.6; Beta Globulin 1.3, MPV 11.1)

I really thought either of these 2 would have shown up in my auto immune blood work; but nothing showed as a positive other than these listed.  My last dr's dx me with RA & OA, yet my blood work came back normal.  Rheumy was going to treat me with Plaquenil but internist said with my heart problems and no positive dx don't take it until they figure out what's going on.
4 Responses
1744282 tn?1314068899
have an angiogram
967168 tn?1477588089
I had a cardiac catherization that showed no kinks, clots, blocks or plaque - will an angiogram show more than a cath?

The cath showed I had cardiomyopathy, systemic hypertension and a moderately elevated  LVEDP; I was dx with HOCM (hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy) which has been debated by every doctor I've seen since then...One says ARVD, next one says HOCM, now possibly Sarcoidosis or Amyloidosis...one says I have nothing wrong...

I'm unsure how a skin biopsy will show what's wrong with my heart and I can't find one instance of someone being dx via skin biopsy; so I'm questioning the need for this.
1756321 tn?1547098925
From two different links...

C3 increased in many inflammatory conditions as an acute phase reactant, active phase of rheumatic diseases (rheumatoid arthritis, SLE, etc), acute viral hepatitis, myocardial infarction, cancer, diabetes, pregnancy, sarcoidosis, amyloidosis, thyroiditis.

Diseases associated with a high complement activity:

Thyroiditis  
Acute Rheumatic fever  
Periarteritis nodosum  
Dermatomyositis
Acute mycardial infarction
Ulcerative Colitis  
Sarcoidosis  
Typhoid Fever
Reiter Syndrome  
Gout
Scleroderma  
Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis
Ankylosing Spondylitis  
Traumatic Spinal Cord Injuries

http://www.sh.lsuhsc.edu/fammed/OutpatientManual/content.html
http://www.questdiagnostics.com/hcp/intguide/Immuno/Complement%20on%20IG_Glovsky%20et%20al.pdf
http://www.sh.lsuhsc.edu/fammed/OutpatientManual/content.html
967168 tn?1477588089
thanks for that info; I haven't read those yet but I think that's the angle they're working on with the high complements; now to pinpoint the exact cause since nothing has been found so far.
Top General Health Answerers
363281 tn?1518219421
Nelson, New Zealand
1756321 tn?1547098925
Queensland, Australia
19694731 tn?1482853437
AL
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.
Here are the pros and cons of the top fad diets and weight loss plans of the year.