Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close
Avatar universal

Undiagnosed Symptoms Following Asbestos Exposure

I'm a 39 year old male non-smoker, non-drinker, marathon runner who has never had any surgeries or hospitilizations.  

Always healthy until November 2007.  I moved items in and out of a basement storage area of a very old apartment building, later discovering that the entire area contained airborne asbestos.  An Industrial Hygienist confirmed chrysotile and amosite fibers were airborne at higher than safe levels.  A day or two afterward, I felt like I had come down with the flu or a virus.  The symptoms persist, and include:

Sore throat
Hoarseness
Burning and tightness in chest
Irritated trachea/airway, often feels "dry," and "cold"
Burning sinuses
Sinus headache
Exercise induced asthma
Always feel very tired
Mucous in back of throat, tastes like blood, sometimes contains blood
Tender tonsils

Doc visits to date: 2 different internal medicine doctors, 2 different ENTs, a pulmonologist, an occupational therapist, an allergist, and a gastroenterologist.  And to date, I have no diagnosis, and my symptoms persist.  I have visited the National Jewish once for an initial consult and some initial tests, and have my second appointment scheduled for October.

Tests to date: Many blood tests (all negative, with exception of IGE level being toward the high side of normal), Barium swallow (negative), full battery of allergy tests (most of which came back 4+, I'm very allergic to many things), asthma tests w/wo albuteral (positive for exercise induced asthma), many chest x-rays (positive for hyperinflated lungs), Sinus catscan (positive for some chronic damage).

During the last 7 months, I've tried sinus rinses, Protonix, Prevacid, Symbacort, 2 different antibiotics, Singulair, Allegra, several steroid injections, various different steroidal nasal sprays.  None of these medications have provided ANY relief.

I'm at my wits end.  This is having a profoundly negative impact on every aspect of my life.

What else can I, or should I do?
2 Responses
Avatar universal

There are so many people who have at least some immune dysfunction following a toxic exposure. In fact, I know that there have been studies done on patients who had Chronic Fatigue Immune Dysfunction following a toxic exposure. It is believed that the toxins affect the cytokines in a way similar to the classic mononucleosis infection to set off the illness.

Feel free to send me a PM if you would like and especially if you are left hanging without a diagnosis and/or suitable treatment. I do know of something that may help you... it isn't too expensive either.

Good Luck !

PlateletGal
Avatar universal
Hi,

How are you?
The major symptoms of asbestos exposure include shortness of breath, chronic cough, chest pain and difficulty in breathing.
Sometimes the symptoms take months and years to manifest. You do have some of these symptoms. There are some biomarkers for asbestos which can indicate exposure to asbestos. You can discuss these with your treating doctor. Take care!




Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Undiagnosed Symptoms Community

Top General Health Answerers
363281 tn?1590104173
Nelson, New Zealand
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
19694731 tn?1482849837
AL
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.
Here are the pros and cons of the top fad diets and weight loss plans of the year.