This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Avatar universal

Unexplained Pussfilled "Sores"

Hello, i am a 43 Year Old and this all started in 1990 when i had to have surgery for an exploded ulcer ... i lost quite a bit of blood and had to have a blood transfusion .. 2 months later i noticed small boil like places on my finger on my left hand, the sores (for lack of a better word) turned into one large puss filled sack on my finger and burst within a few days.  I then noticed a beat red streak extending from my hand all the way up to my armpit.  the 2nd time this happened it happened on my left hand, same symptoms and same red streak.  this has happened several times since then, and continued to do so for a very long time, the "sores" have appeared at random places on my body, including my back, and genital areas ... Please help.  when they appear they usually burst before i can get to the doctor, i have no clue what could be causing this, i suspect bad blood but i cant get a doctor to tell me whats going on .. they wont even test for HIV or STDs ... The Doc i was seeing says i have Hep C ... i was informed that was a cold sore ... i thought a cold sore was a form of Herpies ... from what ive read on the Internet Hep C attacks your liver or causes serious problems with your liver and can be treated. is this correct?  I have also gotten shingles, is this a form of a disease? is there any treatment for it? i have read that it comes from having chicken pox, would an infection cause the chicken pox virus to re-awaken?  please help me, i dont know whats going on and im terrified something is seriously wrong.
Discussion is closed
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
233190 tn?1278553401
I can't give a definitive answer without examining the lesions.  But refractory sores that can erupt anywhere on the body can be indicative of a viral infection.

I agree that an HIV test, as well as STD testing, should be done.  If herpes is suspected, suppressive therapy with antivirals can be considered.  

Also, bacterial skin infections can lead to pus-filled sores.  

I would be evaluated by a dermatologist, who can give a better answer after examining the lesions.  If an infection is suspected, the appropriate antibacterial, or antiviral, medications can be considered, or a referral to an infectious disease specialist can be discussed.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin Pho, M.D.
Discussion is closed
Looking for a Doctor?
Shop for health care like an expert. Find the best doctors based on reviews from patients like you.