Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
25k Members

Unresolved hip pain

I started having mild right hip pain about 3 mo ago. One day i could barely walk; it felt like my leg was going to break off the hip. I limped around on it for two weeks, which was painful as i teach school and my room is at the end of a long hallway. My general practitioner had an xray done but it did not show anything abnormal. She then sent me for an MRI and an appt with an orthopedist. The MRI showed fluid around the right hip. The ortho said that my symptoms would not be caused by that and scheduled a 3 phase bone scan. Those results showed some activity in that area along with minor osteoarthritis I do not need a hip replacement so I am left with pain that is idiopathic. I am wondering if it is muscular because when I lift my right leg, or turn over at night, I cannot straighten my right leg. It is almost as if it is contracted at the hip. I.have to slowly rotate my leg to the right and slowly straighten it. This results in my entire leg tightening up and spamming. Then I can put weight on it. I do not know what to do.
SEE ANOTHER ORTHOPEDIC DOCTOR FOR A SECOND OPINION. Fluid around the joint can cause pain.... did they say it was bursitis?? Im not sure what you mean by "activity" from a bone scan. PLEASE SEE ANOTHER DOCTOR. At the least, you should be given something for pain. There is no reason to suffer like that. ONLY A DOCTOR CAN DIAGNOSE YOU. See someone else asap.
i recomend you a reumathologist  , if there is liquid around may be there is bursitis of the hip  .
hey, ave they looked at the sizies in your legs... cos iv had hip problems for  a little over 2 or 3 years now and the docs picked up on the size different between and my right  it is leg 4cm longer then my lifed one and t that is the reason that it maybe hurting... so maybe ask if they can look at that
Thank you for your response. The orthopedic doctor pretty much said that he could not fix something if he didn't know what it was. My primary doctor has now sent me for physical therapy, I went for an evaluation today. So I will see what happens. If it does not get better, he will send me back to my primary.
They explained 'activity' as increased blood supply that flows to the site of any cancer, infection, etc; basically the radioactive marker goes to areas where there is high metabolism going on.
Thanks for your reply. I mentioned bursitis to the ortho, but he said my symptoms didn't present like those indicating bursitis .