Avatar universal

Unusual sensation in hand

I have for, the last week, experienced a strange feeling starting at the base of my left hand (near the wrist) and traveling to the tip of my little finger, I would describe it as numbness or a burning feeling. My movement or use or the hand and fingers are not affected. The only thing noticible is a small hard spot under the sking at the base near the wrist, almost like an internal wart. Should I be concerned? What speciality would I contact concerning it?
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
4851940 tn?1515694593
The "warty" thing like mindovermayhemFL says is likely to be a ganglion.  These are little lumps of fat that are harmless, but sometimes they can press on nerves causing irritation.  So it is possible that this is pressing on the nerve that runs to you finger.

Also the sensations that you are feeling in your wrist are that of compression of nerves that run inside the carpal tunnel.

Usually with carpal tunnel problems, this does not affect the little finger.  But compression of a nerve in the spine in the neck area can.

Your doctor will be able to let you know what this is and also a nerve conduction test will confirm whether you have carpal tunnel problems.

In any event, support the wrist so that it is not allowed to flex up or down to allow the inflammation in the carpal tunnel to recover.   You can buy wrist supports from the pharmacist.  Also if you do a lot of repetitive work, you will have to make modifications so that the condition does not worsen.  If you ignore the symptoms and do nothing about it, I guarantee you, it will get much worse.

If you work at a keyboard, you may have look at the way you sit and the way you place your hands over the keyboard.  If it is work related you may have to enter this as an injury at work and get an assessment of your work station.  

Helpful - 0
Avatar universal
I'd say Carpal Tunnel, except for the wart thing. A general MD should be able to take a look, and if further examination is needed, just ask for a referral  to a good specialist :) Good Luck!
Helpful - 0
5257653 tn?1365909483
My mom had a similar thing when I was in high school. It turned out hers was what they call a ganglion (i may have spelled that wrong) cyst. She also had carpal tunnel syndrome. I would suggest going to see a doctor to have it checked out. Good luck!
Helpful - 0
Avatar universal
Well i sometimes have that same sensation, but i've never had the feeling of a wart under the skin. I think that you should see a doctor  about it.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Undiagnosed Symptoms Community

Top General Health Answerers
363281 tn?1643235611
Nelson, New Zealand
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
19694731 tn?1482849837
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Discharge often isn't normal, and could mean an infection or an STD.
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.