Undiagnosed Symptoms Community

Upper Arm Pain mid arm between the elbow and shoulder

I have been looking everywhere for an answer, maybe someone here can.

About 1 year ago I began having pain in my right upper arm, between the shoulder and elbow, about mid arm where the biceps brachii muscle or brachialis muscle is.
I went to my Primary Physician who said it was a torn brachialis muscle.  Since I was working at a 2nd job, I thought it might be job related so I went through the whole Workman's Comp issue.  They sent me to 4 doctors who did nothing for me, finally the case was settled and my lawyer got most of the money, but I still have the pain.  It is an extreme ache down to the bone, that is unbearable at night.  Even with pain medicine and sleep aides, I get about 2-3 hours a night.  Finally, I went back to my own doctor and asked if he could help me, he said yes.  He sent me for an MRI, and then to an Orthopedic Surgeon.  The Surgeon said the MRI revealed a cyst inside the humerus bone about 1 cm by 5 mm, that would have to be "watched" to see if it grows, if it does, it could weaken the bone, and the slightest mishap could break the bone.  However, he said it could NOT be causing me so much pain.  He checked out my arm and noticed a hard soft tissue knot, and suggested removing it through surgery and it "might" relieve my pain.  So, 3 weeks ago I had the said surgery and it was removed (a hard soft tissue mass about the size of a marble).  No, this was not the cyst inside my humerus bone.  Anyways, I still have the pain, and it is extremely terrible at night (on a scale of 1 to 10, a 20 at night).  I even have the same pain, in the same place, in my left arm, but to a much lesser degree (maybe a 5-7 at night, but bearable).  I have tried many unsuccessful web searches, trying to find something that might lead me to an answer for what this is, so here I am grasping at cyber straws.  I have this incredible pain, that is extremely painful at night, no idea what it is, therefore  no idea how to cure it.  Please, if you have any ideas of where to research, I am definitely open and also AWAKE.  Thank you for your time, consideration, and cooperation in this matter, I deeply appreciate it.
I wrote about this on 1/28, I recently saw a Dr. again.  This Dr. believes that I may have a pinched nerve in the neck which could be responsible for the pain in my right arm which also makes my hand and arm numb and swollen.  She also told me to take 2 of the Vicoden every 4 hours at night (so I take it twice), I tried this and had the first painless night since this started almost a month ago.  Problem is, I don't want to be on pain meds, I want the problem to go away.  She did have me get a bunch of x-rays of back, neck, and arm.  She also is referring me to a "physical medicine" doctor.  Hopefully this doctor can find the cause.  Will stay in touch...Good luck to all...
My 26 yr old daughter also has this same pain in her upper arm -- she descibes the pain as a pressure that if she didn't know any better she swears her arm is about to blow up.  It also is the worst at night and if the spell was really bad it effects her arm all day.  This pain started two years ago and lasted the first time for three months.  She had xrays, CT scans, MRI's, bone scans, neurological exams and NOTHING showed up.  Her GP was struck and what else to do -- also pain meds did nothing --- possibly the narcotic ones may have but she didn't what to resort them them.  So here we are two years later and it is starting up again ..... we don't know where to go from here either.  When I found this web site --  I told her it wasn't a diagnosis but at least there are other people with the exact problem, so you know that it is not just in your head ----- BUT IS THERE ANYONE WITH ANSERS --- PLEASE -- IS THERE NOT A DOCTOR WHO HAS ANY NEW INFO -- Just out of curiousity have any of you been exposed to wood ticks in the past couple of years ?????

Pennie in Moose Jaw
I cannot believe that so many have the same pain that has plagued me.  I hope someone is able to come up with something that will explain it and or help it.  

Jocie
Well, here I am again.  Saw the "physical medicine" Dr. who performed Nerve Conduction Studies exam on both my arms and confirmed I have carpal tunnel syndrome in both arms which I knew I had but I was not using the braces because they gave me little relief.  Dr. suggested I start using them again because sometimes CTS can cause pain in the upper arms and the braces can relieve this, so I did.  After 6 weeks of painful nights with little sleep, I am finally free of the pain and am sleeping much better and without any pain meds.  I still have a dull pain during the day and some numbness in my fingers.  Of course the only cure is surgery which is something I will have to think about.  I still have to have the bone scans to rule out any possible tumor in the bone but since the braces are working at night I doubt anything else is wrong.  For now I can live with this condition as long as the excruciating pain at night is gone. Will continue to update, good luck...
I have the exact same problem in both arms between the elbow and shoulder with the pain on the outside away from my body. It showed up a couple of months ago and I was trying to figure out if it had anything to do with me being 4 months pregnant. My obstetrician doesn't think so though. Since I am pregnant, I can't take ibuprophen or get x-rays so I really don't know what to do. I also have a toddler that I lift a lot so maybe that's causing it. Anyway, I'm not so happy that other people are having the same pain, but relieved to know that I'm not crazy. I don't think it's carple tunnel - I don't have any numbness in my hands - at least, not yet.
Hi my names Vince, im 17 and i have the same problem under shoulder above elbow, hurt when i move it hi or behind me, hurts when i sleep or inactive, when i wake up, i cant enjoy V-games anymore because if im not active it hurts, one relief i figured out if keep that arm active and it tend not to hurt, if you have the same problem,
if you find out anything let me know at ***@**** my brother made the account when i was 14 (jerk) now ever one will think im a sexfiend and i am not lol,
thanks sorry i couldnt help, but be active