Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
25k Members

Upper chest discomfort, lightheaded, after trip

I was recently on a private yacht charter in the Caribbean.  I felt fine after flying down there, then had a night of drinking and started feeling some symptoms not usually associated with hangover.  And since I've come back, the symptoms persist.  I feel a mild heaviness in my upper chest, and am concious of having to breath a little deeper, in addition i have been feel very lethargic even though I'm sleeping well all night.  I'm 36 year old male with no family history of any disease.  I went to my doc and the EKG was perfect.  Also had a blood test and chest xray and he said everything looked fine.  So why do my symptomps persist?  I read it could be anything, like a blood clot in my chest, although I assume the chest xray would have discovered it.  It can't be a panic attack because I am ultra laid back with no worries.  If it was heartburn of some kind, why would it affect my breathing?  I'm paranoid I do not know what's going on with my body.  Maybe I caught tuburculosis on the airplan to St. Martin?  Or a virus or fungus from swimming in the ocean?  I'd like to get some other opinions.  I am pretty sedentary and about 40 pounds overweight, but have a perfect health history.  I like to drink but not on a regular basis.   By the way, I have Gilbert's Syndrome but it has never affected me in any way.  I'm wondering if as I become older that somehow my drinking triggered something?  I don't know.  That's why I'm here.  My doctor's doesn't give me much info.  Thanks.
Maybe get your blood iron and ferritin levels tested?  Even when CBC comes back normal, low blood iron and ferritin can produce symptoms of low energy, tiredness and of course, with low iron, your hemoglobin may be carrying less oxygen to your body.  
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Well, it could be due to anemia and all tests for it should be done. However there is a possibility that this is due to severe acidity. Treatment is a combination of drugs to reduce the acid and lifestyle changes. You will need to change a couple of medications or take a combination of medications like a proton pump inhibitor such as omeprazole,  lansoprazole or pantoprazole empty stomach in the morning and an antacid gel after meals for complete relief. Possibility of H pylori infection too should be looked into and a combination antibiotic tried.
Life style changes include: Avoid heavy meals and eat frequent small meals. Avoid too much of caffeine, tea, smoking, fried food and drinks both alcoholic and non alcoholic fuzzy ones. Avoid heavy exercises within 4 hours of a heavy meal. Raise the head end of the bed by pillows to 30 degrees. Go to bed at least 2 hours after food. Maybe these tips will help you.
Also if there is a clot in your lung, you will be having a lot of pain in chest and difficulty in breathing. An X-ray will not be able to pick it up. You will need a CT scan for it.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!