Aa
A
A
A
Close
Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
25.1k Members

Urinary retention caused by old semen in prostate?

I'm a 40 year old male. Have been having urinary retention problem for the last 4 or 5 years.

I recently saw a urologist. He performed a prostate exam and ruled out enlarged prostate. Urine test showed no UTI. The urologist then talked to another (likely more senior) urologist. The 2nd urologist came into the room and pressed on my prostate *really really* hard with his finger. Some semen oozed out.

He told me that was old semen accumulated in my prostate and it caused my urinary retention. He said there's nothing he could do. The only way to get better is to make sure I ejaculate every time I get excited.

I have never heard of old semen described as a cause of urinary retention. I tried to look up more info but came up empty.

Do you think this is a correct diagnosis? Can you point me to the right place where I can find more information about this?
1 Responses
351246 tn?1379685732
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Hi
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Even if the prostate has old semen, if there is no enlargement or if there is no growth from prostate around the bladder neck (as in cancer), prostate cannot be the cause for urinary retention.
Hence other causes will have to be investigated such as UTI with inflammation of urethra; stone any where in the ureter, kidney or urethra or at the bladder neck; certain drugs like antidepressants, antiallergics etc;  constipation, urethral stricture, nerve diseases as in diabetes, MS, pelvic trauma etc.
I would suggest you get another opinion from a third urologist. An ultrasound scan to rule out stones and a urethroscopy or IVP to rule out stricture may be needed. Definitely further tests should be carried out. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!

Top General Health Answerers
363281 tn?1518219421
Nelson, New Zealand
1756321 tn?1547098925
Queensland, Australia
19694731 tn?1482853437
AL
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.
Here are the pros and cons of the top fad diets and weight loss plans of the year.