Undiagnosed Symptoms Community

Urinary retention caused by old semen in prostate?

I'm a 40 year old male. Have been having urinary retention problem for the last 4 or 5 years.

I recently saw a urologist. He performed a prostate exam and ruled out enlarged prostate. Urine test showed no UTI. The urologist then talked to another (likely more senior) urologist. The 2nd urologist came into the room and pressed on my prostate *really really* hard with his finger. Some semen oozed out.

He told me that was old semen accumulated in my prostate and it caused my urinary retention. He said there's nothing he could do. The only way to get better is to make sure I ejaculate every time I get excited.

I have never heard of old semen described as a cause of urinary retention. I tried to look up more info but came up empty.

Do you think this is a correct diagnosis? Can you point me to the right place where I can find more information about this?
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Even if the prostate has old semen, if there is no enlargement or if there is no growth from prostate around the bladder neck (as in cancer), prostate cannot be the cause for urinary retention.
Hence other causes will have to be investigated such as UTI with inflammation of urethra; stone any where in the ureter, kidney or urethra or at the bladder neck; certain drugs like antidepressants, antiallergics etc;  constipation, urethral stricture, nerve diseases as in diabetes, MS, pelvic trauma etc.
I would suggest you get another opinion from a third urologist. An ultrasound scan to rule out stones and a urethroscopy or IVP to rule out stricture may be needed. Definitely further tests should be carried out. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!