Undiagnosed Symptoms Forum
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
751068 tn?1233373399

Venous "blow out"

I have had a problem with a (vein?) in my neck for approximately 8-10 years. The first time I remember the problem was when I was 8 months pregnant with my second son, blood volume increase…and a large lump appeared on my neck, left side above the collar bone.  I visited an emergency clinic and the doctor there figured it to be a mass, tumor or cyst, and decided to biopsy it. Once he cut into the lump he freaked, got very flustered and shaky, visibly disturbed and admitted he should not have done what he did. He thought at that point it was some kind of vein or venous lake, where blood is flowing in faster than it can exit and “ballooning”. His cut into it relieved the pressure and made me a happy camper except for the fact that no one can explain what it is.  I did seek advice from a vascular specialist and was told he could not determine what was wrong. He would not cut into it and required a “dye test” where I have to drink some dye and undergo a scan to POSSIBLY tell what MAY be wrong…he had no idea or guess.The problem seems to be exasperated by physical or mental stress. It balloons under my collar bone, and if soft enough does not bother me. On occasion it swells to a point that it puts pressure on nerves and causes pain in the neck and shoulder blade. It does not decrease blood flow to my extremities (left arm). It can swell to the size of a small walnut, feels kind of lumpy, bluish under the skin, and causes some pain in surrounding tissue or nerves.
I would like some idea of what it is or possibly could be. I have always asked if it is life-threatening or   dangerous, and get mixed answers of “don’t think so” and “probably not”. I am taking garlic (antibacterial, anticoagulant, and blood thinner) and turmeric (blood thinner/anticoagulant). Cold and hot do not work and may exasperate. What is it?
1 Responses
233190 tn?1278549801
It is difficult to say without examining the lesion and the studies myself.

That being said, I agree that what has been done thus far.  The vascular surgeon is the correct doctor to see, and the test that was recommended seems reasonable.  It appears that an angiogram was the test that required the dye, and indeed, it can shed more light on the lesion.

Another option would be to do an MRV or MRA - this is a magnetic resonance test of the blood vessels, which can give some information without actually cutting in, or biopsying, the lesion.

These options can be discussed with a vascular surgeon, or in conjunction with another opinion at a major academic medical center.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin Pho, M.D.
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.
Here are the pros and cons of the top fad diets and weight loss plans of the year.