What could have caused my bro-in-law to come home cramping like he did?

my brother in law came home from work cramping in his entire body.  he has been at this same job for years.  he is a roughneck.  for some reason yesterday he came home and could not even make it to the bedroom he ended up on the floor.  he is cramping in his whole body. severe pain. anny suggestions on what this might mean? or what could be causing this?
Thanks for writing to the forum!
Severe muscle cramps could be due to electrolyte disturbance usually due to sodium deficiency
I would suggest you get the blood levels of the following checked for your brother in law if they have not already been checked: potassium, calcium, sodium, vitamin B complex, or vitamins B1, B3, or B6 and Vitamin D. Generally deficiencies of any of the above can cause muscle twitching and spasms in localized or generalized areas of the body. Get his kidney function, parathyroid gland function and adrenal function tests done because these affect the electrolyte balance in the body. It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
Looking for a Doctor?
Shop for health care like an expert. Find the best doctors based on reviews from patients like you.