Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
25k Members

What doctor should I see or tests should I have now?

I have been suffering pain in my feet, legs and back since 2003.  I did not have any type of accident prior to the onset of this pain.  At times the pain and ability to move are almost impossible.  There are also times that the nerves in my entire body are over sensitive to any kind of touch.  I have seen a nuerologist, poditrist and internal medical doctor.  None has offered any help.  They tell me it is just aging.  MRIs to my back showed a slight narrowing around the spinal cord.  I really need help to find out what is wrong with me so I can go back to work.  my syptoms are steadily getting worse.  I have had radio treatments for the pain in my back which gave me some relief but did not improve my ability to walk.  I also take prescription pain medicines but they barely take the edge off and I am reluctant to take stronger drugs.

Spinal stenosis is a medical condition in which the spinal canal narrows and compresses the spinal cord and nerves. This is usually due to the natural process of spinal degeneration that occurs with aging. It can also sometimes be caused by spinal disc herniation, osteoporosis or a tumor.

Lumbar spinal stenosis results in low back pain as well as pain or abnormal sensations in the legs, thighs, feet or buttocks, or loss of bladder and bowel control. The main causes of lumbar spinal stenosis (LSS) include Organ hypertrophy of the facet joints or osteoarthritis; spondylolisthesis; diffuse idiopathic skeletal hyperostosis (DISH); and degenerative disc disease.

MRI is the best imaging procedure.

Treatment includes weight loss, and activity modification, such as using a Walker (tool) to promote a certain posture. Epidural steroid injections may also help relieve the leg pain.

If the symptoms are more severe, a laminectomy or foraminotomy may be indicated to take pressure off the spinal nerve.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spinal_stenosis

Till that time you can use OTC pain killers like brufen, pain releiving gels and creams and muscle relaxants.

Take care and do keep us posted on how you are doing.

How are you?
Your symptoms are suggestive of nerve entrapment or nerve impingement in the lumbar region.
Slight foraminal narrowing in the spinal cord usually does not cause any symptoms. When did you get the MRI done?
I would also suggest you to get your blood sugar level done to rule out diabetes. Diabetes can cause peripheral neuropathy and cause pain in the feet and legs.
You can take a B complex supplement and see if it helps!