Undiagnosed Symptoms Community

What is hydronitis

What are the symptoms of hydronitis, and can it be passed to your mate?
Thanks for writing to the forum!
You are probably talking about Hidradenitis suppurativa, which presents as  recurrent boil-like pus-like discharge abscesses resulting in difficult-to-heal open wounds and scarring. It commonly occurs on apocrine sweat gland-bearing skin such as in the groin, the underarms and under the breasts. It is also known as ‘acne inversa’.
“The extent and severity of the disorder varies widely between individuals. Initially a firm pea-sized nodule (0.5-1.5 cm diameter) resembling acne may appear on one site. These lesions may resolve spontaneously or within hours to days rupture and ooze a pus-like discharge. These may heal without treatment but at a later time new lesions recur in the adjacent area. If uncontrolled, this leads to development of larger lesions (golf ball size), sinus tract formation, and involvement of multiple sites. Three distinct clinical stages have been defined for the condition.
Stage 1 – solitary or multiple, isolated abscess formation without scarring or sinus tracts Stage 2 – recurrent abscesses, single or multiple widely separated lesions, with sinus tract formation
Stage 3 – diffuse or broad involvement, with multiple interconnected sinus tracts and abscesses.
Disease may spread to involve less commonly associated sites including the nape of the neck, waistband and inner thighs. Anogenital involvement most commonly affects the groin, mons pubis, vulva, sides of the scrotum, perineum, buttocks and perianal folds. The abscesses and sinus tracts can be painful.” Refer: http://dermnetnz.org/acne/hidradenitis-suppurativa.html
No the disease is not contagious. Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!

Im not a doctor but i have had this for years and i havent had anyone get it from me...i can tell you that rubbing from underwear and bras with underwire definitely makes it much much worse...i have it under my arms and groin and under my breasts, its embarassing and it never seems to get better as a matter of fact it seems to be spreading more and more each year randomly showing up on my stomach
A related discussion, What can be done to prevent or heal faster was started.