Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
25k Members

Why do I get unexplained chills with no fever or infection?

I get these unexplained chills all the time, where im freezing cold with goose bumps all over my body. They hurt and I can barely walk they are so bad sometimes. I check my temp when I get these episodes and its perfectly normal. I do not have a infection or am not sick. Im not even in a cold environment. Everyone around me is not cold. Its the weirdest thing, and I cant find a answer for it. Its like my body is messed up and sending these chills for no reason. Please help.

Hi, I'm also in the same boat. Till now I thoght only I have this problem, but looks like some people are there who has same problem what I have. Even I'm waiting for an answer for this question.
Seems there are a few people that have a chill/cold feeling and don't know what is causing it. I feel like the cold is coming from my bones. Every now and then I get a hot flash, but not very often. Blood and thyroid checked ok, still have cold feeling.
No fever, but something is wrong. Nerves maybe?? Sending wrong signals to my body.
Sooner or later someone will figure it out, hopefuly my doc will.
hi guys i think i have the same problem i get the chills without being cold or anything and i can control it i can cause the chills to my self any ideas? Email me ***@****
Very timely.
This has been going on for over a week now. I've been looking all over the net for some relief, anything....
I did find one reference to nerve pinching that may make sense. I can't sleep it's so bad right now- for days. It's particularly the back of my neck and along my spine....
Right now I have on a heavy shirt, turtlrkneck sweater, over sweater, scarf, headband and jacket. I'm laying with a heating pad for my back.
I won't see my doctor until Tues., and I don't currently have insurance. I'm drinking tons of water and urinating like I've been out skiing. Almost painful chilled immediacy. Antihistamines and aspirin don't help!
I REALLY NEED SOME SLEEP TOO.
Hi this is AMIT. I have also the same problem.
one year back i went for a trek. I walked for 21 - 22 km in a heavy rain i don have dry clothes too... as soon as I reached on fort i slept for 3 hrs as i was very tired with wet clothes ... when i woke i felt the same we all are goin through ... from dat day i facing this prob
After visiting nearly half a dozen doctors and none of them knew what I had. Conclusion is that this is more nutrition and this is probably why doctors can't figure it out because they aren't nutritionists.

And so I started experimenting with vitamins and health activities.
Here's how I solved my chill problems.

1. 8-9 Hours of sleep at night. Sleep somewhat relates to my chills because I was often tired when it hits.
2. Well fed. I was often hungry when it hit and it made me feel like I was shaking and cold to the bone.
3. Excersize. If I ran 5 blocks or 1 mile a day I no longer had bad a chill as I would without any.
4. Vitamin B. It somewhat improves my energy and less chills occured.

5. Drink enough warm water. It helps sooth the body and disables the chill effect because it keeps the body well hydrated and warm.
Sometimes being dehydrated and cold causes the body to rehydrate faster than it should and you quickly sweat it all out because you try hard to warm yourself up because of the chill itself.

6. Super Warm Bath every night with a bit of sea salt in water. This helped calm the body and rehydrate it from skin down. Worked for me. Less chills.

These 5 things helped me out a lot. It might not work for you guys because we are all different but it takes some experimenting to see what you lack. For my body it took experimenting but I finally got it right. In my opinion and experience I've concluded that stress, chills, anxiety, lack of excersize, too much excersize, & other hard to pin point problems are all signs of an imbalance somewhere.

I hope that this helped you guys a bit.

***@****
For nutrition I ate enough protein, drink mineral water and ate a lot of fruits such as pears and peaches.
I am surprised that there are other individuals out there that are expierencing these painful chills. I have gone to several doctors, including a pain management doctor, and no one can figure out what is wrong. My primary doctor had every blood/urine test, known to man, completed on me and everything came back normal. This is what I am expierencing:
1. severe painful chills all over my body (throughout various times in the day/night)
2. "goose bumps" feel like a thousand needles all over my body
3. I get very hot and will start to sweat, within minutes of cooler air touching my body, I develop these horrible chills.

What helps: getting into a warm/hot shower and letting the water run over my body.
I am getting this same effect chills at night take a temperature no fever the only thing that helps me is to get into a hot bath as hot as i can stand it and sweat these feelings out . I recently had mono, pluerisy , bronchitis, pnemonia, and had an infected molar and several other problems however i notice that every time this happens to me . my righ tkidney hurts before it starts happening this has been going on for years with me and usually i drink some water and bam i'm good after always so the dehydrration theory and possiable unnoticed kidney infection could be the problem but howver i dont have an md. or phd just sharing my story with the community love Cass Hope u all feel better soon xoxox God Bless You !
It happened to me last night and it was the most horrible experience ever I tough I was having a stroke, now my body aches really bad. I also was diagnosed with fatty tissue all over my liver couple months ago, and of course my first tough was maybe my liver is not functioning how it supposed. Don't know but I'm really concern. I have kids and I don't want them to see me sick.
I too have this happen to me, Mine usually starts at night and my Face begins to get very red and flushed and Im really warm to touch but I never take my temp. I am usually freezing when this happens and start to shake all over because I am feeling so cold. I have no idea why this happens or what causes it, but It scares me really bad. WHen I get this way, I can tell my anxiety level rises really high and I get scared even more. I am a 42yr old Female so I thought it might be my body going through the change of life but My mom says it doesn't do this.
Any help would be great.
My husband gets these chills and he almost screams he is in so much pain.  He shakes all over and moans & nothing seems to stop the "chill".  He often sits in a movie theatre, and upon leaving the theatre, he gets a "chill".  It sounds horrible and it can be long-lasting.  No Dr. has ever even heard of this happening so we have never had any help.  Enjoyed reading your stories and at least knowing there are others who unfortunately, are suffering in the same way.  Sure wish somebody could come up with an answer for everyone.