I'm a 31 year old female weighing 198 lbs. I use the NuvaRing for birth control, and I take a multi-vitamin daily. I have low B12, and I'm on weekly B12 injections. This was diagnosed back in Sept. 2010 with a level of 203. In Dec. it had gone up to 408. At the end of Jan. 2011, I had a lot of life complexities that prevented me from getting my B12 shots (sick husband, driving kids, etc.). I started back on my shots 4 weeks ago. Before I started treatment again with the shots, my B12 level had gone down to 340 even though I was taking a multivitamin daily. Tomorrow will be my 5th shot. I have days where I'm feeling okay and have energy to do things. However, I have more days where I'm just so sleepy, that I cannot do anything but sleep. I'm also seeing a cardiologist to rule out heart issues. ECHO and 48 hour Cardiac Holster came back normal. Here's a complete list of my systems - not sure which ones are related:
- Extreme fatigue - sleeping 10+ hours every day and still feeling like I can't function. I take naps at every opportunity and go to bed shortly after I get the kids in bed.
- Inability to focus and concentrate - particularly with work (I'm a business systems analyst and my job requires a lot of thinking and analysis.)
- Stress -- mainly because I feel like I'm not able to perform my job like I have in the past.
- Full body aches - feels very flu-like. This symptom comes and goes.
- Joint pain in hands/fingers/knuckles - In the past, this was tied to my low B12 because I had extremely painful hands where I couldn't even dress myself or open doors. 45 minutes after my first B12 shot, the pain subsided and my hands went to a more manageable tingly feeling. This comes and goes (pain, tingle, no pain/tingle) depending on my B12 level, I suspect.
- Problems with coordination - I don't know if this is related to my body aches, but I seem to drop things more frequently these days. Or I hit things inadvertently. (ie. setting my son's glass down on the table, I hit the napkin holder). I do seem to have minor stability issues when standing/walking, but that was present even as a kid. My dad even called me "Miss Clumsy" as a kid.
-Pains in my calves - well on the side of my calves and behind my knees. These pains come and go and sometimes lasts only minutes and other times hours. I usually only have leg hurting at a time (typically my right leg). Frequently, but not always, a few minutes after the pain disappears in my right leg, I feel a pain in my left shoulder for a few minutes. The leg pain has been going on for months. I typically experience it about 3 times a day.
- Chest Pain - I've had 3 scary situations that have all happened within the last month.
a. Driving home with the kids, my heart begins racing and pounding. I get lightheaded and dizzy. My chest feels heavy. I cough (once), and I feel better. Episode lasted about 30 seconds.
b. Sitting on the couch next to my husband, my chest starts hurting. I sit up straight and grab at my chest. I get slightly dizzy. Episode lasted about 30 seconds.
c. Started at the around 3pm, start feeling very aware of my heart beat. Several hours later (around 6pm), my breaths seem to be restricted by a "wall" when I breath in. I cannot breathe past the wall. I want to go to the ER, but my husband tells me it's probably stress and lie down and relax. I go to bed around 6pm. I lie awake until about 9pm when I finally fall asleep with the chest wall symptom. I wake up the next morning able to breathe normal.
- Frequent low grade fever 99.2-100F. Frequently, I get chills and feel sick. I take my temp and I have a low grade fever. However, I know this is not my normal temp.
- Viral illnesses every 4-5 months with temps 102+F. Doc even joked that I should get my tonsils yanked out.
- Upper back pain just left off of my right shoulder blade. The pain seems to be deep. This pain has been around for months, but the intensity varies. Some days, it's so bad that I take Motrin to try to help it, not sure it helps. Other days, I can only feel it if I press on the area.
I'm currently being treated with an antibiotic for a cyst on my back (upper left side). I started the antibiotic yesterday, and now I think I have a yeast infection.
My mom's convinced that I need to get tested for Lyme's disease. I live in Texas - not a high risk state. However, last summer, I did hike up Sugarloaf Mountain in Upper Michigan. Mosquitos were insane. I don't recall being bit by a tick nor did I have a bulls-eye rash.
My sisters think that I might have a slight Gluten intolerance causing lack of B12 absorbtion