broken or sprained thumb??

So i was playing volleyball last thursday and i went to set the ball,  my left thumb got pushed all the way back and it hurt severely for 2 hours after i hurt it.  i can barely move it and it hurts when i go to grab something! what happend?
Read more
Follow
Upvote - 0
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
This is either a tendon or a nerve injury or it can be muscle injury or even a fracture. The only way to confirm is get an X-ray done. Fractures will be caught on X-rays. If there is no fracture, then also you may need a pressure bandage to give rest to thumb. Apply ice, give rest, elevate had on a sling, and take an oral anti-inflammatory. Needless to say, consult a doctor immediately.
Take care!
Should I use a sling until I go to the doctor? I am wearing an ace bandage on it. It's not swollen but in does hurt really bad.
If it was broken you would know. I would guess hyperextension.
I went to the doctor and they said they didn't see a fracture. He said to take the brace off sometimes and move it around. I tried to move it around, but i cant move it! I can't even touch the tip of my thumb to the base of my little finger!!! he said to come back at the end of the week if it doesn't get better.
    is it possible for it to be a hairline fracture and not come up on the x-ray??
could it be a torn ligament?
  **** you!!!!!!!!!