cold legs

last night i woke up and my legs very cold. i been having a lot of anxiety lately. could my cold be because of anxiety?

How are you?
Yes it is possible that your cold legs were due to anxiety. Other causes can include thyroid dysfunction, and coarctation of aorta.

You are right in saying that anxiety can cause cold legs during sleep. During times of stress, such as during anxious moments, blood is shunted to our vital organs and away from our extremities causing vasospasticity. The surge of adrenalin in the bloodstream as a result of stress causes constriction in the capillaries and small arteries going to the hands and feet where there is a high concentration of nerve endings resulting in cold legs.

Try to remain stress free before going to bed and avoid caffeine before bedtime. It constricts blood vessels.Also; pls don't smoke (if you smoke) as it impairs circulation.

If still the symptoms persist then pls consult a doctor as cold legs may also be caused by Reynaud’s disease(disorder that affects the flow of blood to the fingers and sometimes to the toes), diabetes, stroke, multiple sclerosis and underactive thyroid.So pls get yourself evaluated for that.

Take care and pls do keep us posted on how you are doing.

Looking for a Doctor?
Shop for health care like an expert. Find the best doctors based on reviews from patients like you.