constant pain under right rib cage

Two days ago, during a run I started feeling a cramp in my right side right under my rib cage. Since then, the pain has not gone away. I feel it very mildly all the time, but if I press on it the pain gets more severe. My diet the last week has not been the greatest, but I haven't lost a tremendous amount of weight or anything. I'm worried with the pain lasting over 48 hours it could be serious, and being a female teenage athlete I don't want to take any risks. Please help me figure out what the problem is, and if I should seek medical attention.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I get that a lot too. When I run... I haven't gone to the Dr. for it...Sometimes it last a couple of weeks...
Helpful - 0
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Muscle stitch and cramps occur while running when the oxygen demand is not met. Dehydration and fluid/electrolyte imbalance too can cause pain while running. Try drinking plenty of fluids with salts to avoid this. Gas in stomach too can cause pain while running. Hence you must rule out factors like acidity, belching , bloatedness, cramps, food allergy etc. Take antacid gel and omeprazole empty stomach in the morning. If everything is ruled out and there is a history of any abdominal surgery, then this pain can also be due to adhesions.
Do discuss this with your doctor and get yourself examined. Take care!

Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Undiagnosed Symptoms Community