Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
25k Members

does anybody have an answer

I have been having pain in my toes,knees, and hand.  it is the right hand ,both knees and all toes, I am a left handed person so I don't use my right one. I also have swelling in these areas as well. I can hardly walk because of my knees and toes and my hand swells so much that I can't close it. Does anyone know what this could be?

The main cause of pain and swelling in the fingers, toes and  hand is rheumatoid arthritis. It may cause stiffness and pain with movement. Over time, deformity of the fingers may occur.Diagnosed by ESR and Rheumatoid factor in blood and x-rays of digits.RA can begin at any age.It is not restricted to the elderly.

Second possibility is of osteoarthritis if you are elderly.It is a degenerative disease of the joints.

Other possibilities may be lupus(a long-lasting autoimmune disease in which the immune system attacks normal body tissues as though they were foreign substances. It may cause joint pain.Diagnosed by ANA titres)  ,gout and pseudogout(an inflammatory joint disease that causes acute pain and swelling.Diagnosed by uric acid levels in the blood)  ,polymyalgia rheumatica(an inflammatory disorder that causes widespread muscle aching and stiffness, primarily in your neck, shoulders, upper arms, thighs and hips.) and polyarteritis nodosa.

I feel that you should consult a rheumatologist soon and get yourself evaluated.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep us posted on how you are doing.