Aa
A
A
A
Close
Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
25k Members

edema in feet and ankles

Hi.  I am new to this forum and I just wanted to know if anyone could help me with my most recent medical problem.  I am a 52 yo woman and I am experiencing severe edema, especially in my ankles and feet (the left much more than the right).  I have been to the doctor and the ER and they have run many tests, but they are all normal.  My kidneys are fine, my liver is fine, my electrolytes are normal, my EKG is normal, my chest x-ray is clear, I am pre-diabetic with a fasting sugar of 112.6.  I have not been able to work for the last 3 years because of a cervical spine problem. I had fusion, but the nerve never healed.  I currently have a ruptured disc and severe stenosis at the L-7, S-1 level.  I was given 3 interthecal steroid injections which did not work.  My current medications are- benedryl, atenelol, ibuprofen, low-dose asprin, minocycline, vicodin, simvastatin, soma, prilosec otc, ranitidine, and cymbalta.  The edema started about 4 weeks ago.  I have been taking lasix (starting at a 20mg dose, then 40mg, then 60mg and 4 days ago raised to 240mg).  I have peed a river since they raised the dose to 240mg this weekend, but the edema is not subsiding!!!  Any ideas what might be causing my Fred Flinstone feet and what might relieve it?  I'm not  having any trouble breathing and I elevate my feet as often as I can, but I'd love to be able to wear my shoes again!!  Thanks
1 Responses
I too have prediabetes and my feet would also swell when my blood sugar level raised.  Have you taken sugar completely out of your diet?  Things that were causing me to swell would be things I would not even suspect such as ketchup.  Maybe you have an allergy?  I would swell when I ate something red in color (my sugar level would also have to be elevated).  Good luck!  
Top General Health Answerers
363281 tn?1518219421
Nelson, New Zealand
1756321 tn?1547098925
Queensland, Australia
19694731 tn?1482853437
AL
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.
Here are the pros and cons of the top fad diets and weight loss plans of the year.