Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
25k Members

hard lump behind ear

i was just putting my 4 year old daughter in for her rest. she pushed her hair out of her face and said "ouch" and then asked me if she had a mosquito bite. i looked where it hurt and there is a hard bump/lump behind her ear on the bone part (not on the ear itself). i touched it and it hurts. it's about as big as an eraser on top of a pencil or a pea. it is not red or anything (skin color). i get very worried about these kind of things and will give her dr. a call but in the mean time i was wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to what it may be? like i said, i am worried.
It sounds like it is a lymph node. If she has been sick lately this would be the reason for the sore lymph node. You could get it checked by the doctor just to make sure.
thank you very much for responding! would you believe i just got off the phone and that is exactly what the dr. said! although my daughter has not been sick. she has been very stuffy with no other symptoms. not sure if its a cold or allergy? either way, i made an appt. to have it looked at.
should i put anything on it like an ice pack or warm cloth? will it get bigger? will it go away? (if that's indeed what it is) or will it need to be lanced? thank you for your time. worry wart here.
Lymph nodes are VERY reactive to touching. So the more you touch it the more it will stay enlarged. You don't need to put anything on it. It will get smaller on its own in time. Remember, the more it is touched the longer it will take to get to its normal size. I know it is scary to find any lump!
Take care!
Yep--lymph nodes----I just had a infection that dealt with my lymph nodes on the right side lower neck up to the top of my neck with the one behind my ear very very sore---I did not run fever---but I had heaches, and very tired----I did go to the doctor and we talked about mono---but he said it would not affect the nodes in that way---he did put me on some antibiotics----they helped----but I had to go back and then we talked about mumps---all in all everything was fine----I just had a bad infection and the nodes were trying to fight it off!!!!

Sincerely,

Giddychic
Last year I had a cyst behind my ear on the bone as well.  It was a cyst and my doc sent me to a surgeon.  He lanced it in his office and then packed it with this string gauze.  I was able to pull the gauze out the next day.  I had to take antibiotics for 7 days - since then, smooth sailing....
Hope this clears up soon - they can be tender to the touch which ever it is.
This morning I woke up and I was combing my hair and noticed a hard lump behind my ear where the skull meets the back of the ear.  It is not so hard that I cannot push it down, but very tender.  I have not been sick, I do not have any infection that I know of, what could be the cause of this?  I noticed the people who posted said either swollen lymph node or cyst, but I have not been sick, and can a cyst just pop up over night?  Please help!!  One more thing it is very warm in this area, and once again not on the ear but on top of the skull bone.
i too have had a small pea sized lump on my ear at the back, just near to the crease. (if you put your finger just behind the lobe and rest it in the soft part, it is just above there) it is tender to touch and has been there for nearly 3 months. i dont think it has changed in size and it isnt a different colour so you wouldnt see it there until you feel it.  i have not had the chance to go and see the doctor mainly because im not that worried about it but im curious to know what it could be. i will go to the doc eventually!
My son is only 4 years old and has been complaining of headaches for sometime now.  I noticed he has 2 lumps right behind his ear.  He had a cyst in his ear that he had to get removed 2 years ago.  Could he have more cyst that popped up or is it something else.  I don't know if the headaches are from the lumps or if they have nothing in commen. I am scared to find out what they are there are so many posibilities.  Someone please hepl!!!!!!!!!!!
hi doc, i have a slightly enlarged bump behind the right side of my ear. i just noticed it last night. my left side is perfectly normal. although i've been blowing my nose due to allergies this whole week, im thinking that might be the cause. im not sure if its a lymph node or not . i really hope its not something too serious because i dont have any health insurance.  i feel normal because i slept for 10 hours last night, i felt hungry this morning and ate two bowls of cereal. i dont feel weird or anything im not having severe headahces or seizures. please let me know what i should do. i'll try to stop touching it for a while but how long will it take for it to go away? thanks. god bless
I am glad I found this forum including this specific Topic: Hard lump behind the ear.
For almost a month now, I have been having sharp throbbing pains on my left side of the skull, mainly above the ear located right on the bone and thought it was just a migrane due to dizziness and have been taking exedrine migrane.
While massage my left skull, I have noticed the lump located exactly on the left-side on the bone above my left-ear, as I pressed on it, the area seemed to trigger a point that made my migrane even painful, then noticed that it travels to my left eye and beleive it or not even my left sinus area.
Ready to call the hospital for an appointment...
Any suggestions on what to do in the meantime or anyone would know what this could be?

Thanks,
DL
okay like a lot of people in here said i have a few hard flesh coloured lumps along the left side of my head. One directly behind the ear on the bone, two on the side of my neck and another slightly below the one on my ear bone. Im very concerned because they dont hurt to the touch it is just an uncomfortable feeling and i havent been sick lately. im not sure where to go from here. please help.!

thank you.
allie
I just had cysts removed from behind my right year.  Several months ago  I noticed a knot behind my ear.  At first sight, I thought maybe a large pimple, or boil.  I tried everything from hot compress to drawing save to pull out whatever it was, with no luck.  I finally called my doctor, and he said cyst.  Had my make an appointment to come back a week later for him to lance it.  What he told me was it was an infected sweat gland.  Once he lanced it, he found multiple very small cysts beside the large one.  Also informed me that he wouldn't be surprised if I had some reaccurrance because they may be some small ones that he couldn't see.  He cleaned up what he could, stitched me up and sent the mass to be tested just to be on the safe side.  Results:  cysts due to infected sweat gland.  Mine was pretty much painless.  Never did hurt due to touch, except for when I tried to pop the dumb things.  The funny thing was, when my doc examined it, he told me that he had another patient just a week before me with the exact same thing in the exact same place..........must be pretty common.  Hope this helps some............really was painless even the removal of it.  A little numbing medicine and it was gone!!!!!  I do know that if you leave it alone and not see your doc it will continue to get bigger............mine did!  Don't wait, make an appointment.............be on the safe side!!!!!!  Take care all!